Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
Apparently i didnt get a photo of the bloody live end sunday, only the dead end. Photo of live end taken today coming up next.

Attachments

• 20210404_112201.jpg
    20210404_112201.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 119
Tuesday March 6. Left foot. The bloody protuberance has now dried, but it is still fully there. I havent stump examined close enough to know if it contains bone or just tissue. She doesnt act like it hurts, but i dont want to handle more than necessary. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20210406_165702.jpg
    20210406_165702.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 118
Sunday morning April 4. I awoke and first thing i did was check on Matilda. I saw her left foot sticking out from underneath her chest, & could see it was starting to detach. This photo is the last taken while Matilda was still wearing her foot. I dont know what i expected, but i havent seen any photos of exact moment of detachment. The dead part of foot was dried and shriveled, but the live part had a bloody "blob" at the end.
As gross as this may sound, it's really good news that it's so red and bloody at the top part. It means the rest of the leg is still really healthy. How is she doing? Any pain?

Also I wanted to thank you for documenting this throughout the entire event. Not many people do and this is sure to help many others in the future. You're doing awesome! ❤️

Tuesday March 6. Left foot. The bloody protuberance has now dried, but it is still fully there. I havent stump examined close enough to know if it contains bone or just tissue. She doesnt act like it hurts, but i dont want to handle more than necessary. Is this normal?
I am inclined to suggest treating it like any other wound. Apply antibiotic ointment and keep it wrapped. Her body trying to form new skin and tissue around the nub. I literally know almost nothing about frostbite, but I imagine each case is different when the detachment occurs.

Her right foot also has me thrown for a loop. Photo taken today. Looks nuthin like any frostbite photo ive found. What is going on here?
I'm actually thinking that right foot has a (tiny, slim) chance of recovering somewhat. It looks more pink then the earlier photos which indicates blood flow. It looks like she'll lose all the outer toes, but that center and up the leg look somewhat promising? Very odd!

As gross as this may sound, it's really good news that it's so red and bloody at the top part. It means the rest of the leg is still really healthy. How is she doing? Any pain?

Also I wanted to thank you for documenting this throughout the entire event. Not many people do and this is sure to help many others in the future. You're doing awesome! ❤️
Really happy to know the blood was a good sign! I have zero experience dealing with an amputee in any species, & have felt a bit floundering and lost. Tu for your input!

I am inclined to suggest treating it like any other wound. Apply antibiotic ointment and keep it wrapped. Her body trying to form new skin and tissue around the nub. I literally know almost nothing about frostbite, but I imagine each case is different when the detachment occurs.
Tu yes ive kept it sprayed with veterycin, then covered with triple antibiotic ointment, stump covered with cotton pad, then vet-wrapped. Have unwrapped once daily to re-treat. Dont know if once daily is sufficient, or if i should be treating more often or less. Not only have i never treated frostbite before, but now im doctoring an amputee.

I would soak her stump and foot in warm water with some Epsom salt, Hibiclens/chlorhexidene, or betadine to keep them clean once a day. Then keep it clean. The Vetericyn or triple antibiotic are fine. I have seen another case online where parts of the foot were pink and healthy and others black. She will still lose a lot of that foot more than likely. You have done a wonderful job of handling this and taking care of her. Keep her on clean towels for bedding.

Back
Top Bottom