Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Personally I am of the opinion of "when in doubt, medicate." Just make sure she has probiotics or fermented feed in her diet. Best to stop the infection before it happens! Usually once we see it, it's already been present for a while. She needs all the help she can get.
I agree with all u said. I judt simply had no clue if the redness is infection or normal along with the swelling. I'll start cephalexin this eve just in case. Sorry Matilda, gonna hafta pop this pill in your beak too. (Im still giving her baby aspirin.) Re fermented feed, yes great idea. I feed fermented feed in the summer heat to help the hens take in more water; will start her a batch feed fermenting this eve too.

Cephalexin dosage for chickens is 35 to 50 mg per Kg given 4 times a day. A Kg is 2.2 pounds. Do you know how much she weighs? Here is a link for chickens slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Tu for cephalexin dosage. I try not to ask questions if i can find the answer myself, but my brain has been stuck in neutral gear over this. I Think Matilda weighs about 7 lbs. She feels like shes regained most of her weight over the past 2 weeks. I will weigh her this eve to get exact weight. If she weighs 7 lbs, & the cephalexin tablets are 500mg, the dose would be 150mg 4x daily, is that correct? I have a pill splitter, but hmmm not sure how to split a pill into thirds. (Assuming i calculated dose correctly). I also watched the chicken chair/sling video. Matilda definitely needs a sling! I can improvise until my friend can help build her her very own sling chair. (Actually he will be doing most of the actual building; i ll just be the supervisor). Tu for the video.

I try not to ask questions if i can find the answer myself, but my brain has been stuck in neutral gear over this.
I don't have an swear to your question, but always always always ask. That is what were here for, never feel like you asking to much. I once took the advise of an article off the internet, and then took the advice that a BYC member said, and didn't expand my research. That hen passed because of internal laying, when I probably could have treated her.
Never hesitate to ask questions, were here help! ☺️

Oh my gosh! I just finished reading this thread, that is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry your going through this. Just remember, Matilda know she is loved. She knows your caring for her, and she knows that even though it hurts, things will get better, even without feet. Remember that, things will get better. Keep working threw this, you are a trooper to have come so far, I think a lot of people would have culled.

I would emediatly take that laundry basket, and clip a towel to either side, cut holes for two legs, and a poo hole and get her off the ground. How is her appetite now? Put Probiotics and Electrolytes in her water, and do the fermented feed like suggested above. If she is only eating treats, she really needs to eat some real food as well. Try making a mash out of her chicken feed to make it easier to eat.
You are doing an amazing job with her, you really are. Keep up the good work, you got this. This thread will be very helpful for others in the future, I think it should be a sticky thread in the emergencies section of this forum. Great job documenting, you are doing an amazing job, just remember that. You got this! :hugs :hugs *Hugs and more hugs*
Gonna use your idea to make Matilda a sling in her laundry basket bed this very eve Weeg! Tu very much for your support. Im quickly realizing i should in fact have posted her situation before now. Not because her feet can be saved, but because there are, and have been, things i could do to make her more comfortable. The emotional support truly does help. Her appetite is mostly back to normal now. At first she wouldnt even eat scrambled eggs, the special "mama food" i give all the broody hens every other day or so during the 21 days they are setting. Yes i was concerned she wasnt getting proper nutrition, but decided eating junk food was temporarily better than eating almost no food at all. She is now eating moistened layer feed (which i will begin fermenting this eve), scrambled egg every other day or so, a few mealworms, & hand-picked fresh green clover which she Loves. I did add chick probiotics and electrolytes to her water during the first couple weeks, but she was eating & drinking so little im not sure if she got much into her system.

Yes i was concerned she wasnt getting proper nutrition, but decided eating junk food was temporarily better than eating almost no food at all.
I agree. I have an older hen who I am assuming is 8. We had a full team renter put her chickens in with ours, and when sh moved out she left her chickens here. So we adopted her, not sure on age.
Anyway, she didn't' eat for a while, mealworms and table scraps were what kept her alive. I recently switched to an All Natural, Non-GMO crumble, and for some reason she left that over the commercial feed lol! So I totally get you situation. ☺️

She is now eating moistened layer feed (which i will begin fermenting this eve), scrambled egg every other day or so, a few mealworms, & hand-picked fresh green clover which she Loves. I did add chick probiotics and electrolytes to her water during the first couple weeks, but she was eating & drinking so little im not sure if she got much into her system.
That sounds perfect! Excellent job! Keep up the good work and see her comfortable, you got this. :hugs

Would bag balm help 5+ weeks after the injury occurred? If so, i do have bag balm on hand. Tu for your input. As ive said, if i had only known---
Please use it daily if the feet fall off rub the stumps wit it to heal but follow the meds the eggcessive talks of

Bag Balm wont heal it at this point, she's going to loose the feet and nothing is going to stop that. I have heard that bag balm can help with comfort, but its not going to ward off infection, or anything like that.
Its worth a try, though I see Neosporin being more affective. :thumbsup Keep up the good work!
Ps. I could be wrong, if so, experts please correct me, these are just my thoughts, no research to back them up.

Back
Top Bottom