Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

I had a silkie-cross boy who ended up losing his feet to frostbite. I ended up padding his stumps with a bit of cotton batting and vet wrap, and he got around just fine until he died of old age two years later. Keep your hopes up
Tu for input and encouragement. Seems like maybe there are more frostbite/lost limb cases than i knew. (After all i debated whether or not to post her case too). Do u know how his frostbite happened, Did his feet get wet? Do u remember if there was any redness above the swelling before his feet detached? If no one knows the answer to that, will likely start om cephalexin this eve just in case.

I had a silkie-cross boy who ended up losing his feet to frostbite. I ended up padding his stumps with a bit of cotton batting and vet wrap, and he got around just fine until he died of old age two years later. Keep your hopes up
I also read on another thread the vet wrap should be removed and re-wrapped every 7 days. Do you remember how often u changed your silkie's bandages?

Unfortunately im not on instagram or facebook. I get almost all my chicken knowledge right here on byc. I will look up the turkey thread, havent seen that one. Yes, i am absolutely dreading discovering that her foot has separated from her upper leg. (Idea makes me wanna throw up actually.). Yes i have read that the nubs can become irritated and infected if not carefully wrapped and protected. Not exactly sure how best to protect the terminal end yet, but will figure it out through more reading). I have seen enough threads to know she can still have a decent quality of life. Have also learned that frostbite can cause other damage including heart problems. Matilda was in perfect health before her accident, but she Is 5 years old. Im also really sad because i named her "Waltzing Matilda" because she was always really bad about scratching all the feed out of chick feeders for her babies, no mattee how hard i tried to secure the feeders. I used to get sooo mad at her for wasting so much feed.(She scratched it all into the dirt where it disappeared). And now shes not gonna have any feet to scratch with.
Poor baby. I'm sorry.

Poultry DMV featured Barth here: http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/barth

I don't think the article mentions the moment he loses his feet, but she had talked about it in some of her IG posts.

He is a testament to hope and recovery.

If no one knows the answer to that, will likely start om cephalexin this eve just in case.
Personally I am of the opinion of "when in doubt, medicate." Just make sure she has probiotics or fermented feed in her diet. Best to stop the infection before it happens! Usually once we see it, it's already been present for a while. She needs all the help she can get.

Poor baby. I'm sorry.

Poultry DMV featured Barth here: http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/barth

I don't think the article mentions the moment he loses his feet, but she had talked about it in some of her IG posts.

He is a testament to hope and recovery.
I just read the story of Bart. Will say that when i saw the photo of Bart wearing his bunny rabbit house shoes, couldnt help but laugh. And that's the first time ive laughed over Matilda's impending predictament since i understood her feet were at risk. Bart's entire story is very informative and inspiring, and gave me several great ideas to help her with future needs. Thank you so much for posting it!

I just read the story of Bart. Will say that when i saw the photo of Bart wearing his bunny rabbit house shoes, couldnt help but laugh. And that's the first time ive laughed over Matilda's impending predictament since i understood her feet were at risk. Bart's entire story is very informative and inspiring, and gave me several great ideas to help her with future needs. Thank you so much for posting it!
You're welcome! His story is what drew me into IG if I'm being honest. I believe last fall he had a major health scare with a respiratory infection, and he has some ups and downs with how he is feeling, but he was in far worse shape than your hen when she acquired him. Please do keep us up to date on Matilda!

Oh my gosh! I just finished reading this thread, that is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry your going through this. Just remember, Matilda know she is loved. She knows your caring for her, and she knows that even though it hurts, things will get better, even without feet. Remember that, things will get better. Keep working threw this, you are a trooper to have come so far, I think a lot of people would have culled.

I would emediatly take that laundry basket, and clip a towel to either side, cut holes for two legs, and a poo hole and get her off the ground. How is her appetite now? Put Probiotics and Electrolytes in her water, and do the fermented feed like suggested above. If she is only eating treats, she really needs to eat some real food as well. Try making a mash out of her chicken feed to make it easier to eat.
You are doing an amazing job with her, you really are. Keep up the good work, you got this. This thread will be very helpful for others in the future, I think it should be a sticky thread in the emergencies section of this forum. Great job documenting, you are doing an amazing job, just remember that. You got this! :hugs :hugs *Hugs and more hugs*

Back
Top Bottom