male guinea attacking me...and it hurts!

I've had guineas for the last 4 years. I've had anywhere from 15-80 at a time. Not ever have I been attacked by male or female. The other day I had one male come running at me but then he stopped about a foot from me all confused and started squawking at me.

I've never had a Guinea attack me either, other than a Hen or 2 being defensive/aggressive about the keets that I was taking away from them, but even then I wasn't attacked... yelled at, hissed at and puffed up at yes, but not attacked. I have had a male or 2 think they are going to come running at me before, but when I see them coming out of the corner of my eye and turn around and give them "the look" they back off and act like they were running after a bug or something, lol. I read the body language of all my animals, and in turn they read mine (but I'm always 1 step ahead of them). I take no aggression from any of them, and they know it. It's pretty much common practice that ya "don't bite the hand that feeds ya" on this ranch, or you end up on the BBQ or at the auction
gig.gif

Edit.... I never had an issue with small flocks, be it 4 birds or 10 birds. But I do agree, larger flocks are a little easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Quote:
Were you wearing something unusual? Something they've never seen before? The first time I wore my outback hat & coat in to the coop they couldn't get away from me fast enough. I had to take them off and holler above the racket they were making to convince them it was me. Took a minute or two and still with some quiet grumblings but that ended the panic they were in.

i have a male guinie fowl and he chases me and my sister every where we go and we cant do anything out side without being bitten in the butt by him

I have a disabled female who I keep away from the 2 males, who are also separated due to violent fights. She has been laying an egg once a week, and now one of the males whom I pick up and pet has now started charging me and taking several chunks out of my legs, even through thick denims. Suggestions? I am running out of bandaids.

I have a disabled female who I keep away from the 2 males, who are also separated due to violent fights. She has been laying an egg once a week, and now one of the males whom I pick up and pet has now started charging me and taking several chunks out of my legs, even through thick denims. Suggestions? I am running out of bandaids.
The last reply to this thread was in 2017. You would do better to start your own thread.

Back
Top Bottom