Lice treatment question

Altairsky

Chirping
Mar 25, 2024
Italy
I've seen a lice crawl on one of my hens, she is missing a few feathers on her neck so lices are probably the issue.
I have this product at home,
https://www.amazon.it/Neo-Foractil-Spray-Uccelli-300Ml/dp/B01AGGMOKG
it's a spray that contains
- piperonyl butoxide 10mg in 1 gram of product
- tetramethrin 2mg per gram
- permethrin 3mg per gram

Is this safe for chickens? In the label it is explicitly written that it cannot be used on laying hens and if I do I should never eat the eggs from that hen for the whole life of the bird.
Lol?
Seriously?
Can I use this stuff or I better look for permethrin only powder? Which I'm honestly having troubles finding it in my country, all I can find is Neo Foractil.

I would call a local vet and ask if they would recommend it or not. Or try to find permethrin garden dust. The permethrin is commonly used here in a powder form or in 0.5 % liquid spray. The piperonyl in your product is synergistic to help the insecticide work better. I can’t tell you if it is safe or not. Your vet may have a better suggestion. Lice can hatch every 10 days, so most things including permethrin will only kill the live lice. You will need to treat at least twice with that, to get the newly hatched lice. All bedding will need to be emptied and removed, and coop sprayed before adding new beding.

I'm pretty sure it's safe for chickens because I already used it on canaries and wild birds but it baffles me that it is stated that I can't eat the hens eggs, like, forever. It has to be some UE nonsense. Are really eggs from permethrin/tetramethrin treated birds unsafe to eat for the whole life of the bird? It makes no sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom