tasnim2005

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hi everybody. I have a 6-7 month old Black Australorp hen, she is really sweet and friendly with us and got sick suddenly. She gets bullied a lot by the other hens and a few days ago when we saw her a little weak, we brought her inside to eat and drink.

Right now she is inside in a cage. She has electrolyte water (which she's been drinking now) and some spinach and hard boiled egg yolk. She has a low appetite and only pecks for a few seconds at her food before turning away.

As of today, she has become so weak she cannot stand or even clean her feathers much. She might puff up where it looks like she intends to clean herself, but she loses balance before she can reach. She is just laying down in the cage, sometimes leaning over to take sips of the water.

No discharge from her nostrils and no wheezy breathing, nothing indicatory of a respiratory infection (as I know of). Her eyes are still open and she is mostly aware of us and noises around us, though sometimes she does shut her eyes and begin nodding off.

When she poops, it is very watery and green/yellowish. We did syringe feed her the electrolyte water a day or two ago when she was absolutely refusing to drink. Now she is drinking willingly, but food is still difficult. And she does not eat her layer at all--she has only eaten a bit of yolk.

Please let me know if there are any questions and I will answer them. Thank you all for reading this all the way through, I appreciate any and all responses!

Attachments

• 20220217_164234.jpg
    20220217_164234.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220217_164406.jpg
    20220217_164406.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 10
She is probably starving and dehydrated, can you tube feed @Wyorp Rock @LaFleche have experience with this, hopefully they can help. Good luck and best wishes for your hen.

Last edited:
She probably is starving (poop color) and dehydrated ... Scrambled eggs is a great idea, also if you're feeding a crumble/pellet feed, wet it with water to make a mash & offer. You may want to use that cage in the coop so she's protected yet part of the flock; a "hide" spot for her to get away from the bullies.

How large is your coop? How many hens are there? What breeds? How many feeders/waterers? Is it one bully or more?

What does her crop feel like?

If possible, can you take a sample of poop to your vet for testing of Coccidiosis and worms?

I would offer wet feed and bits of egg. Work on hydration.

It's very hard to know what's going on with a pullet like this, she's awfully young. Has she started laying eggs?
She may be suffering from Marek's. T
You can try tube feeding her to see if you can get her hydrated and eating. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Back
Top Bottom