Lethargic baby chick

Khhope

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
I brought home five chicks three days ago.. one seemed to have pasty butt, but I have cleaned it twice a day since I got her and she seems to be doing better. Yesterday I placed little rubber leg bands on them and also put a small amount of dusting bath powder in a shallow container in their brooder. This morning when I woke up a different chick that had been the most active was super lethargic and was not eating and drinking. She does not have pasty butt. I made a mixture of very weak green tea, electrolytes and egg yolk and got her to eat a tiny bit out of a syringe. But she is hardly moving now and is only sleeping.. I’m not sure what else to do?

Why the dusting powder? Can you explain the benefit from giving it to the chicks? It's possible the fine particles have caused respiratory distress. Or, as chicks do, they try to eat it and it can clog the digestive system.

Give the lethargic chick sugar water to drink to try to revive it.

And, best to remove the dusting powder.

I would take away the dusting powder. They are too young to be around it as their systems are still developing. Try to give it some vitamins in the water. I got this from Tractor Supply and it has helped some of my chicks at times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321-165318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230321-165318_Chrome.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 6
Did your chick ever recover? I just had one die about 20 minutes ago from a similar issue, and have since given the flock corid.... I'd like to know if yours is ok.
Hello! Unfortunately no, she did not recover 😢 Her sisters are thriving and doing well.. I removed the dusting powder right away. Good luck! All the best!

Back
Top Bottom