Leghorn, Delaware or Columbian Rock?

m_shuman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Springfield, GA
My MIL bought these chicks from a local farm store. She was told they were White Leghorn Pullets. Well we now have 2 roos and 1 pullet from these three chicks and I am beginning to think they are not leghorns at all but Delawares. They are about 18 weeks old and My suspicion has been farther confirmed because I found a brown egg in the nesting box today. My other chicks are Black Austrolorps that are 17 weeks and EE that are 16 weeks. I am seeking out other opinions because I truly don't think the guy at the feed store had a clue.

Here is a picture of one of the roos:

87976_100_2344.jpg

Here are pictures of the hen:

87976_100_2339.jpg

87976_100_2338.jpg

I know about the ear color trick but honestly I don't know what I am looking at so here is a closeup of her face:

87976_100_2342.jpg

Thanks for the help!

ETA the chicks were all yellow no black on them until they started to feather out.

Last edited:
Well, they are more Columbian Rock-looking than Delaware, to tell the truth. Delawares should have barred hackles, not solid colored and males have barred tails as well. Probably just poor quality Dels with lots of Columbian Rock blood. See my avatar for proper hackle pattern.

ETA: The hens are Dels. The male is a poor quality Del (could even be a cross, to tell the truth); in other words, he doesn't look like a Delaware rooster is supposed to look. Very definitely NOT Leghorns! They should be good layers.
smile.png

Here's a young Delaware male to show hackles and tail feathers so you know what I mean.

DCP_1896.jpg

Quote:
I am glad to hear that she will be a great layer. I did let the local feed store know about their screw up by putting a snippy post on their facebook page. I really wanted at least one white layer for my MIL who only eats white eggs. Here is what I put on their page:
"I just wanted to let you know that this April I bought 3 chicks from you and they were supposed to be sexed leghorn pullets and they turned out to be 2 roosters and one pullet that are either Delawares or Columbian Rock Chickens or a poor cross between the two. I was very suprised this morning to find a brown egg instead of the white ones I was expecting."
So what white layers would you suggest I get next spring to add to my flock?

Anconas, rose comb if you can find some. I have some single comb anconas and I love them! I also ordered some mille fluer leghorns. You could also try minacoras. you can look at the breed page and click on egg color and it will sort the breeds by egg color.

Leghorns, Minorcas, California Greys, and Anconas are all great layers of large white eggs.

Did your white birds by any chance come from Cackle Hatchery? If they did, I think I know what they are... Otherwise, I haven't the slightest idea.
idunno.gif

That could be, certainly. They're crossing the two breeds and calling them by the original name of the Delawares, which was "Indian Rivers", however a Delaware was created from a white sport out of a BR x New Hampshire.

Back
Top Bottom