Lazy chickens?

KTay11

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
My chickens are about 12 weeks old and I have this stupid boat in my yard that’s on a trailer and flipped upside down (it’s going soon thank god) but when I let them out of their coop they graze around for a min in the yard and then they just go under there and hang out for most of the day. There’s a bar under there so they like to roost on it, and a ton of dirt so I’m sure they dirt bathe all day but I thought they were supposed to be like running around my yard eating bugs and grass all day? Do I have a lazy flock or something? Lol I have sprinkled scratch and treats on the ground and they’ll come and poke around for a few and then right back under, or they go to the side of the house and hang under the tree. It’s not SUPER hot or anything today. 73 or so. They go to their coop on their own at night and all of that good stuff. I have food out in the yard and in the coop as well as water.

Chickens are prey animals. They feel most safe when they have some form of shelter. That can be near the side of a building with shrubs, under trees, or under large shrubs themselves. They obviously feel safe under the boat. Personally, if I were you, I would keep the boat and make some kind of arrangement with it in it's current position that's more attractive or cute and keep it for them.

Back
Top Bottom