Laws About Shipping Chicks?

houndit

There is no H or F in Orpington!
14 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Braymer Missouri
I am thinking about starting a business of shipping some day old chicks that I hatch out. I have heard that you have to have some sort of license to do this. I am sure that laws vary from state to state . I am in Missouri. I asked at the post office, and the lady said she would send me some information on it , But you know how post offices are and it never got here.
Does any one know about it or where I can find out?
I will appreciate any information.
Thanks

Last edited:
Well, you will need a business license from your state, and you will also need to check into federal law if you ship out of your state because that's interstate commerce, which is regulated at the federal level. You will also need to be licensed to ship animals into the states you want to deliver into and the Post Office might also have their own requirements.

The best place to get general information at the federal level is the Small Business Adminstiration and I'd start there actually and work down to your state level.

smile.png

~Phyllis

I am in braymer Missouri. Caldwell county.
So far I have only muscovys, ducks, geese, pearl guineas, and Naraganset Turkeys. I want to raise Rhode Islands, lehorns, sussex, penedesencas, australorps, ameracaunas, etc. I wanted to know ahead of time what I had to get to ship day old chicks. We already have a layer business with the sexlinked hybrids. I want to start a small hatchery. Thank you for the information Phyllis.

You're welcome! Give yourself plenty of time to get comfortable with the various types of regulations that may apply to you. It's not something you can absorb in en evening. The Small Business Administration has a pretty good reputation for outreach, so certainly utilize them as much as you can.

Also - you can build your business in stages. Interstate commerce that involves live animals will be vastly more complex than than - oh - selling software across state lines. You can always start by selling locally within your state, and then branch out. Don't take on too much too soon.

~Phyllis

Quote:
You don't need a business license from the state. You may need one from your city or county, but probably only at a certain level of gross sales if they require it at all. If you want to register a business name that would be done through the state. Most state regulations require chicks shipped in interstate commerce to be NPIP certified. As somebody mentioned, your county agricultural extension office may be able to answer some questions. Unless you're planning a large operation I would think following regulations, keeping the books, and paying the appropriate income taxes would be all you would need to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom