Lavender Orpington x Silver-Laced Wyandotte -- What Would the Chicks Look Like?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
A friend who has a Lavender Orpington and Buff-split-to-Lavendor Orp hens and SLW hens has offered me some free chicks so I'd like to know what I'm looking at when I pick them up. I'm interested in lavenders and/or the SLW crosses but not in buffs because I don't want gold-based colors in my flock. How would I know which chicks are the ones I want?

I'd especially like to see photos (the chicks are currently 2-3 weeks old and will be 4-6 weeks old when I can get them).

Thanks.

Here’s what I believe are lavender/buff x lavenders-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lavender-x-buff-orpington-cross.982278/post-16944600. In that cross, you’d get 50% lavender chicks (possibly with buff leakage) and 50% black chicks (possibly with buff leakage). Some could be solid black or solid lavender. If you don’t want any chance of buff leakage, avoid any lavender chicks and definitely avoid ones with buff heads. The SLW crosses should have rose combs and will grow up to have silver leakage, partial silver lacing, or be solid black. It’s possible that they get gold leakage as well, since the lavender Orpington father may have one or two sex-linked gold genes.

Here’s what I believe are lavender/buff x lavenders-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lavender-x-buff-orpington-cross.982278/post-16944600. In that cross, you’d get 50% lavender chicks (possibly with buff leakage) and 50% black chicks (possibly with buff leakage). Some could be solid black or solid lavender. If you don’t want any chance of buff leakage, avoid any lavender chicks and definitely avoid ones with buff heads. The SLW crosses should have rose combs and will grow up to have silver leakage, partial silver lacing, or be solid black. It’s possible that they get gold leakage as well, since the lavender Orpington father may have one or two sex-linked gold genes.

Thanks again.

There are a lot of solid black chicks in the hatch, I'll pick those and/or any that show silver leakage since I won't be getting them until they're about 6-8 weeks old. That sounds like the best chance of getting what I like best. :)

Back
Top Bottom