Lavender Orpington- splayed legs

Bushastead

Songster
Aug 19, 2019
Hello,

Well it appears that we do not have good luck this round of chicks this spring.
Below you will see a pic of the two Lavender Orpingtons we have. One I noticed yesterday not really moving. When i touched her to get her moving she just kind of roller around and could not get her feet under her to stand up. So i immediately seperated the two from the group.
In their own tote I let them rest and checked on them a little while later. When I did i noticed one of them had its leg all spralled out like she was doing a side split. At that point I was pretty sure it is splayed legs. I made her a leg brace with a rubber band and straw and when I force her to move she can actually stand for a few seconds normally. But doesnt want to move unless i make her. So every hour or so I move the food and water to her so she can get some of each. She is still eating when i move it to her as well as drinking no problem. So I am hoping with a few days rest i will see improvements. Is there any other tips you can give me on this that might help?
Im slighty concerned cause the other one keeps trying to snuggle and knocking the hurt one over. But she is small and keeps getting trampled by the others. So i have them together.

Attachments

• 20200324_085416.jpg
    20200324_085416.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200324_091212_444.jpg
    IMG_20200324_091212_444.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 7
Hello,

Well it appears that we do not have good luck this round of chicks this spring.
Below you will see a pic of the two Lavender Orpingtons we have. One I noticed yesterday not really moving. When i touched her to get her moving she just kind of roller around and could not get her feet under her to stand up. So i immediately seperated the two from the group.
In their own tote I let them rest and checked on them a little while later. When I did i noticed one of them had its leg all spralled out like she was doing a side split. At that point I was pretty sure it is splayed legs. I made her a leg brace with a rubber band and straw and when I force her to move she can actually stand for a few seconds normally. But doesnt want to move unless i make her. So every hour or so I move the food and water to her so she can get some of each. She is still eating when i move it to her as well as drinking no problem. So I am hoping with a few days rest i will see improvements. Is there any other tips you can give me on this that might help?
Im slighty concerned cause the other one keeps trying to snuggle and knocking the hurt one over. But she is small and keeps getting trampled by the others. So i have them together.
What about putting her in a sling? Baby chicks grow so fast that she might be OK if you put her in one of those for a couple of days, maybe that way the other one can’t knock her down.

Do you have a picture of that? I am unsure of what you mean.
Sorry, I don’t have a pic, but you can do a search on this website, there are a lot of articles and pictures. You may also try supplementing your chicks water with some vitamins, I’ve heard that vitamin B can help if the condition is caused by in vitamin deficiency.

Do you have some vitamins you can add to the water? It could be a vitamin deficiency. You can feed those babies a scrambled egg.

Sorry, I don’t have a pic, but you can do a search on this website, there are a lot of articles and pictures. You may also try supplementing your chicks water with some vitamins, I’ve heard that vitamin B can help if the condition is caused by in vitamin deficiency.
I dont 😔
Is there a food I can give them that has it in it?

Do you have some vitamins you can add to the water? It could be a vitamin deficiency. You can feed those babies a scrambled egg.
I had another one that was wobbly too, real bad. And I had to seperate her too until she got better. She did but is noticeably smaller than the others.

Back
Top Bottom