Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Oh... So I cannot buy that breed in TSC. 😢 He is such a gentle baby, too. I saw him go right up to their 2 year old daughter and just stand guard.

And how can you tell the age? I am just curious, because that was spot on!
Mostly by spur length and the comb looks like it has gone through a winter or two.

My guess is that he's mostly Orpington because of the pearl legs and body type and possibly some Wyandotte as well. He is single comb which is an Orpington trait, but clearly there's something else going on because the comb has more points than the typical Orpington. Higher percentage of Orpington than Wyandotte, but I'd guess there is a small percentage of another breed as well.

I don't get them with gear down all that often. 5000 acres at last report. They're hitting it hard today to try and contain it due to high winds being forecast for tomorrow.

_DSC0305.jpg

My guess is that he's mostly Orpington because of the pearl legs and body type and possibly some Wyandotte as well. He is single comb which is an Orpington trait, but clearly there's something else going on because the comb has more points than the typical Orpington. Higher percentage of Orpington than Wyandotte, but I'd guess there is a small percentage of another breed as well.
Ooh! Thank you! I will tell the neighbor that! He has kept chickens for 3 years, but he appears to just like having them around; he does not know breeds or anything. He is like me. 😂 I know that he would never give up that rooster though, because he is such a cuddle bug, even with their 2 year old. Man. I wish that roo had just sauntered into my run and called it home. 🥰

Last night, sous chef fired me (jokingly, of course) and chef immediately appeared and said "You are rehired."

Damn. Almost got unemployment, because this one was not my fault. 😂

Back
Top Bottom