Is this pullet a Minorca?

zaz13

Songster
Apr 3, 2020
West PalmBeach, FL
A little background - this girl was sold to me as a Minorca pullet around 5-6 mos. of age (about a month ago). Nearing laying age. When i look up photos of minorcas, I don't exactly see the resemblance. Her ear is kind of white... but not obviously. Her face just started to color up this week, so maybe her comb/wattle will develop or change a bit.

Is this a minorca? Or what do you think she is? (Other then my seramas, she's my smallest hen). For comparison - I have five 2-month old chicks, and most of them are her size or larger.

I've attached a couple photos

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200911_143457.jpg
    20200911_143457.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200911_143455.jpg
    20200911_143455.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200911_143452.jpg
    20200911_143452.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 21
Interesting... I purchased her and was told, "She is pure minorca - aside from her toes - you would be able to show her," "she should lay a small creamy white egg,and its likely that she will go broody and make a great mother."

You may be able to tell in the photos, her outer toe on each foot is bent under the foot. She said that she had boots on her to help straighten the toes out, but the outside toes still curled under.

Not really mad or upset - because she is probably my favorite (maybe 2nd favorite) bird, either way. She also doesn't sound like the rest of my girls - she sounds like she's laughing when she decides to talk. Im more interested in just figuring out her heritage!

She almost looks like a bantam... how much does she weigh?
Couldn't find my kitchen scale... made do with what I had. Found my old luggage scale and stuck her in a bag, then hung the bag from the scale. Worked pretty well actually! She stayed pretty calm while she was in the bag lol.

Scale said that she is 1.66lbs. That does some pretty small - does this mean she may be some type of bantam?

Scale said that she is 1.66lbs. That does some pretty small - does this mean she may be some type of bantam?

Yes, probably some type of bantam.

Some bantams that come in black and have single combs are Old English Game, Dutch, and Japanese. I do not think she is a Japanese, because they have short legs, and hers look normal length.

Back
Top Bottom