Is this bumble foot? (Toenail broke off)

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
Of course with a chicken you never know until its too late / of course noticeable. But this afternoon while doing daily check noticed my ameraucana walking funny. Appears one of her toe nail fell off, maybe another one loose. Base leg feels slimy. Shes limping but able to walk on it. I squeezed id and she never hollard. Didnt feel anything broke. Anyway see pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 21
Sounds like she has injured the foot tearing off the toenail. The injury may be infected or weeping. Is there any bad odor? I would soak the foot in warm Epsom salts water or water with Betadine or Hibiclens chlorhexidene. Dry well. Apply antibiotic ointment to the wound. I would do this once a day. Just losing a toenail itself is very painful for a week or two. Keep her inside a wire dog crate or pen while she is recooperating. To keep her a part of the flock keep her crate near the other chickens or supervise her while she spends some quiet time with them.

Shes staying close to the 3 brood currentyly nested up. None of the other hens are messing with her. I will give her a soak tomorow

Back
Top Bottom