Is this a red golden pheasant female?

the beginner

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 29, 2016
Hi, an acquaintance of mine purchased a female "golden pheasant", and least that what the seller claimed the hen was. However, I would just like to get your second opinions?
It's sexually mature, as it has layed and even started brooding. I can see a crest forming, however the colourations are making me think is a cross breed or at least not "pure". Perhaps, it might just be a colouration of red golden pheasant?

Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 7.58.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 7.58.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 7.59.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 8.00.08 PM.png

I don't think it a pure golden, the hazel eyes, the pearl looking leg color, beak coloration and the feather pattern just isn't 'right'. In one pic the crest appears to have yellow hue, flakes of pigmentation,(golden) in another, it appears to have a reddish hue (Lady Amherst)? Might just be the lighting?
Did the seller have anyother color variations of Goldens? or Lady Amherst?

I agree with Sean.Legs should be yellow not grayish.Feathering looks a little funky also.I would say it is a golden crossed with amherst.
InN H.,Tony.

I agree with Sean.Legs should be yellow not grayish.Feathering looks a little funky also.I would say it is a golden crossed with amherst.
InN H.,Tony.
That was my first thought but that's not it either! If we had a pic of the tail feathers, I'd have a better idea of what she is....maybe a Yellow golden/Amherst? She does have the facial pattern of an Amherst but it's hard to tell by the pic...pretty blurred pic.
The feather barring (wider bars) is characteristic of an Amherst.
I'd say there is definitely an Amherst somewhere in the mix.

Here's a couple of pics of a Yellow Golden/ Lady Amherst. She has dark brown eyes and gray legs. Noticed the barring pattern is wide like @the beginner pic. Also, notice the tail feather pattern...much more different than a pure Golden's. The crest feathering is more like a Red Golden hen.
20210616_075156.jpg
20210616_075136.jpg
20210616_075133.jpg

A different hen but still a Yellow Golden/ Lady Amherst cross.
20210616_075334.jpg
20210616_075347.jpg

Back
Top Bottom