is there disease that kills during hatching?

CSKA

Chirping
Feb 12, 2024
Hello,

A friend of mine is having trouble.

He put 12 eggs from one person + 12 eggs from another person into the same expensive and reputable incubator (total 24). All of the same breed, different origins.

Eggs were identified with numbers to know the origin. From one person almost all were hatched strong and healthy. From the other person all died inside the egg. All were fertilized and they develop until late stage.

Is there any specific disease that may cause this? Bacteria could kill some eggs but to be 100% of them must be something very specific. Incubator or settings cant be blamed because the other persons eggs hatched with 85+% success. My friend is now concerned that the ones from the other person that hatched fine, may have contracted (an infection) that could be passed later to the rest of the birds...

Any info on this?

Hello,

A friend of mine is having trouble.

He put 12 eggs from one person + 12 eggs from another person into the same expensive and reputable incubator (total 24). All of the same breed, different origins.

Eggs were identified with numbers to know the origin. From one person almost all were hatched strong and healthy. From the other person all died inside the egg. All were fertilized and they develop until late stage.

Is there any specific disease that may cause this? Bacteria could kill some eggs but to be 100% of them must be something very specific. Incubator or settings cant be blamed because the other persons eggs hatched with 85+% success. My friend is now concerned that the ones from the other person that hatched fine, may have contracted (an infection) that could be passed later to the rest of the birds...

Any info on this?
I think malnutrition or a genetic issue with the parent stock is more likely, but yes there are diseases than can be vertically transmitted. I'd contact the breeder he got these eggs from and ask for photos of the birds and enclosures. Also ask if they've had any illness, how closely they're related, etc.
I think the other chicks will be fine. Were there still affected eggs in the incubator during the hatch?

The breeder (not pro, but someone with some backyeard chicken) was contacted. He said, someone else also had the same problem a week apart. It should not be genetic, because he was incubating prior to this to raise meat and selling eggs without problem, it was only a recent thing. Eggs looked big, so don't think a malnutrition issue could kills all embryos.

Do you know what diseases could possible explain this?

Back
Top Bottom