Is there anything else I should do for coccidiosis?

BankFam

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Hedgesville WV
My peeps are almost 4 weeks old. Yesterday I saw a significant amount of blood in the brooder. Everyone was acting normal but I noticed one seemed to be missing some feathers near her tail, like she had been pecked. She had some blood on her feathers. I watched and saw her poop very liquid/mucusy, dark blood. I disinfected the brooder and washed and blow dried my sick peep. I put corid in their water. I have not sperated them because I'm assuming everyone has already been exposed to the illness.

Today, my sick peep is standing puffed up with her head tucked back and acting lethargic. I'm trying to get her to drink but I haven't seen her eat or drink anything yet today.

Am I too late? Should I quarantine her? Do I need to be patient as she gradually gets some medicine?

This is what her poop looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_20230418_093856890.jpg
    IMG_20230418_093856890.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 3
Make sure there are no vitamin supplements in the water. Are you feeding medicated starter feed?

I would get a dropper full with the corrid water, hold her, gently squeeze drips onto her beak, right at her mouth, and she should lap them up.

Make sure there are no vitamin supplements in the water. Are you feeding medicated starter feed?

I would get a dropper full with the corrid water, hold her, gently squeeze drips onto her beak, right at her mouth, and she should lap them up.
I am not giving any vitamins and the feed isn't medicated because I was concerned about it making them antibiotic resistant.

I tried dipping her beak into the water like I did when they were chicks but she didn't seem to get anything. I will try the dropper. Thank you!

Yeah, let me know how it goes. You'll want to do it about 4 times a day. You could also try the drench if she is looking that bad.

My peeps are almost 4 weeks old. Yesterday I saw a significant amount of blood in the brooder. Everyone was acting normal but I noticed one seemed to be missing some feathers near her tail, like she had been pecked. She had some blood on her feathers. I watched and saw her poop very liquid/mucusy, dark blood. I disinfected the brooder and washed and blow dried my sick peep. I put corid in their water. I have not sperated them because I'm assuming everyone has already been exposed to the illness.

Today, my sick peep is standing puffed up with her head tucked back and acting lethargic. I'm trying to get her to drink but I haven't seen her eat or drink anything yet today.

Am I too late? Should I quarantine her? Do I need to be patient as she gradually gets some medicine?

I hope she gets better. Try putting avc in their water. Dipped the beak every so often, like your doing… And try to also put garlic powder in their feed and water. Idk if my ladies had it but it worked

I have heard of those as a preventative, but if the bird is symptomatic you really just want to engage the corrid until they are better.

Also, just an aside, apple cider vinegar will corrode metal waterers, so you would need a plastic waterer if you want to use that to help prevent Cocci problems.

I used ACV for a bit when one of my coccidosis hens was young, but I found that they built up a resistance to the coccidia soon enough, and kind of forgot about it after that. Maybe it is good for young birds who are more at risk.

Garlic is fine if used in moderation, but I would wait till everyone is 100% better. These things are better preventatives than cures.

I am not giving any vitamins and the feed isn't medicated because I was concerned about it making them antibiotic resistant.

I tried dipping her beak into the water like I did when they were chicks but she didn't seem to get anything. I will try the dropper. Thank you!
There's no antibiotics in medicated feed, medicated feed has amprillium, a coccistat that keeps the Coccidosis from overwhelming the system.

Back
Top Bottom