Is there a Barred Orpington?

idunno.gif

Could you make one by crossing a Barred Rock Rooster or Cuckoo Maran Rooster to a White Orp Hen or vice versa?

Quote:
I am working on Buff Barred Orps, they're still a bit away though.

And I'm pretty sure Barred Orpingtons (black barred ) are common across the pond, but I don't know of any here in the US, They would be fairly easy to make though and I had actally though about making them myself but I decided that if I did, some people who can't tell the type of a bird if it kicked them in the teeth would think they are Barred Rocks or " Domineckers" and end up crossing them with barred rocks and messing up both breeds. But if you wanted to make them, it should be easy to do. White Orpingtons may work but I suggest using Black Orpington hens, the best quality I would recommend would be from hinkjc or Bama chicken, and get show quality Barred Rocks ( SQ Barred Rocks, even though they have yellow leggs would be my preference over the white legged Cuckoo Marans because you would get crisper, narrow barring instead of the messier Cuckoo pattern.

And just keeop crossing the best male Barred offspring with the best PURE Black Orp hens. Most of the time your offspring roos will be heterozygous barred and will produce half barred and half black birds when bred back to the Black Orp hens (they won't be sexlinks though) So just keep selecting for Barred roos or you will lose the barring.

Back
Top Bottom