Is it too early to go outside?

Rachelz

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2024
Northern Illinois
I'm in northern Illinois, and temps are forecasted to be around 50 this week for lows. We'd like our 5 week chicks to go to an enclosed shed with a radiant heater this week. I'm not sure what fully feathered means, but they definitely have bald spots under their wings. We took the brooder and heat lamp off today (they're in a chicken box in our basement bathroom, it's very nice for chickens) and I'm hoping they're going to be ok with the temp change. We'll have a radiant heater out there. Any concerns?

20240428_163549.jpg

That's exactly what we do. We have a wooden crate for a mini-coop attached to a pen and put a "cozy coop" radiant heater in rear of the crate in case they get cold. Ours ran around outside in 42F degrees today, but ran back in the box every 5 minutes or so, then back out again lol.

Another week and they shouldn't need it though. Especially if Mother Nature would let us have Spring!!

That's exactly what we do. We have a wooden crate for a mini-coop attached to a pen and put a "cozy coop" radiant heater in rear of the crate in case they get cold. Ours ran around outside in 42F degrees today, but ran back in the box every 5 minutes or so, then back out again lol.

Another week and they shouldn't need it though. Especially if Mother Nature would let us have Spring!!
We got a cozy coop too! Glad that's working for you, we're putting them out in the morning tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom