Is it okay to feed lettuce?

equine chick

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 9, 2007
Volant Pa Lawrence County
I gave my chicks some lettuce and they love it. Would they need grit, if i want to give them this trear. I've read somewhere here about some chicks getting worms from the ground without grit and became sick. I only thought about it after i gave it to them, they are on chickstarter free choice.

I was wondering what they would need to have grit with, too. I want to start trying snacks out on the chikies reaaal soon, but all I have is the Dumor Starter/Grower.

If chicks are only being fed starter they will not need grit, but if anything else is given to them they need it to break it up in their gizzard. I always offer grit to chicks. Its cheap and easy to find. Go to your local walmart or grocery store and look in the pet section. The type of grit they sell for caged pet birds works great and its only a buck or two.

Lettuce is ok to feed to chicks but make sure you offer it in small pieces so they won't choke. Avoid iceberg lettuce, it has no nutritional value. I don't think any problems can arise from feeding it but its less palatable to chickens. Offer romaine or other darker leaf lettuce, they'll like it better and it has more nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom