Is feeding chicks hard boiled eggs ok?

haleychickmumma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Gold Coast Australia
I fed my chicks a mashed hard boiled egg by itself and then again a day later but with their feed mixed in. I had read that it was great for them. Anyway then my neighbour said that this is not a good idea as because then they get a taste for it and then when they start laying if an egg accidentally breaks they could start eating their own eggs. It sounds crazy and I'm pretty sure it's not true.... But?

I fed my chicks a mashed hard boiled egg by itself and then again a day later but with their feed mixed in. I had read that it was great for them. Anyway then my neighbour said that this is not a good idea as because then they get a taste for it and then when they start laying if an egg accidentally breaks they could start eating their own eggs. It sounds crazy and I'm pretty sure it's not true.... But?
If an egg breaks accidentally, chickens will eat it whether they've ever eaten an egg before or not. Technically, egg yolk is a chick's first food. I fed mine boiled yolks.

Hi haleychicmumma

I agree with ShinShien and believe that if eggs break, chickens will eat it. Although this has never happened in my flock.

I feed my adults and chicks eggs and I have never had one break an egg either accidentally or on purpose. The adults get boiled eggs maybe once a week and for them I mash up the lot, shell as well. As long as it does not look like an egg, they will not realize it is an egg. I also give them scrambled eggs.

As long as the chicks have access to grit, they also get boiled or scrambled eggs.

If I accidentally drop an egg I call the hens over to eat it. No it doesn't lead to egg eating. Overcrowding, boredom, and inadequate feeds lead to egg eating.

Ok so they won't start breaking eggs on purpose?
They are very well fed so find that hard to imagine.
Most chickens don't start breaking eggs. There are a few exceptions, but it's usually like Teila said...lack of adequate calcium, boredom, stress and lack of or improper feeds. If a hen lays one of those squishy soft-shelled eggs, those are usually broken upon impact then eaten.

If an egg breaks accidentally, chickens will eat it whether they've ever eaten an egg before or not. Technically, egg yolk is a chick's first food. I fed mine boiled yolks.

X 2 -- you also have to remember that the egg in a boiled and mashed form has NO resemblance at all to a raw egg - whole or broken. They will not make a connection/begin egg eating, because there is no connection to make.

Back
Top Bottom