Introducing new chicks/feed question

I let mine free range for most of the day. But when they are in their pen there is only about 15 square feet per bird, with no obstacles. Just big, square, and dirt. Do you think it would be fine to let the chicks around the hens while they are free ranging, then putting them somewhere separate when I lock them up?
So I only free range for short periods of time. I wouldn't trust young chicks without a mama hen out free ranging if they weren't reliably homed to the run or coop yet. Maybe if the chicks were in a tractor I'd be ok with it, but that's not going to help them progress to face to face integration.

If I did free range most of the time/exclusively then I'd handle integration differently.

Another suggestion, especially for June - plan on putting them out earlier. Sooner you begin integration the smoother it goes in my experience, as hens tolerate tiny chicks better than older pullets, and their small size is an advantage if you provide plenty of hiding spots in the run as well as safe zones via chick/panic doors, which only work up to around 8 weeks or so.

As far as the feed issue, simply feed everyone whatever the youngest birds eat - starter, all flock, etc. I have oyster shell always available for hens and the chicks don't do more than sample it.
We have a 8' by 2.5 foot space under the poop board/roost that can be sectioned off, the plan is to introduce the babies in this area. If they are separated from the adult hens, at what age would you recommend to put them out there?

We have a 8' by 2.5 foot space under the poop board/roost that can be sectioned off, the plan is to introduce the babies in this area. If they are separated from the adult hens, at what age would you recommend to put them out there?
Can you run electricity out there, that's the main decider. If yes, then they can be brooded out there immediately upon receipt (or some folks prefer keeping them inside for a couple days just to make sure they're stable, then send them out). If no, then you'll need to go by temperatures in the coop (highs and low) to make the decision, as you will not be supplementing heat.

Can you run electricity out there, that's the main decider. If yes, then they can be brooded out there immediately upon receipt (or some folks prefer keeping them inside for a couple days just to make sure they're stable, then send them out). If no, then you'll need to go by temperatures in the coop (highs and low) to make the decision, as you will not be supplementing heat.
Yes, we can get electricity out there. We have run an extention cord out there before when it has gotten below freezing for several days.

I hadn't thought of putting them out there immediately, but I like that idea.

Eventually, we will trench across the yard (150 ft) to put power and water at the coop, but the 8-foot coop extension (plus French drain extension) is all I'm going to sign up for this year.

Yes, we can get electricity out there. We have run an extention cord out there before when it has gotten below freezing for several days.

I hadn't thought of putting them out there immediately, but I like that idea.
So in case you didn't read my early integration article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - with your set up your chick.panic doors would be set up in the brooding area under the poop boards, rather than outside like mine, but idea is the same. But given temps in June you can probably have the chicks off heat around 2, maybe 3 weeks, depending on how much temperatures fluctuate.

Back
Top Bottom