Introducing chicks to a broody hen

nono

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Sudbury, MA
My Coop
My Coop
Although I've had a brooder set up in the house for the past 7 weeks with six 7 week old chicks, tomorrow I'm picking up two newly hatched chicks (about 2 day old white plymouth rocks) and was considering introducing them to a hen that I have in my coop that has been broody the last 2-3 weeks (a Buff Orpington.) This way I wouldn't have two brooders going in the house...would make my life a bit easier if it was successful. However, I've never done it before and had a couple of questions I hadn't seen answered in other threads.

1. I realize that it's best done at night, but is it ok to do this out in the main coop (she has been sitting/brooding in one of our nest boxes.) I have 5 other hens in the coop...none of whom have ever raised chicks. Three are 6 years old, and 3 (including the broody buff) are just coming two years old. OR do I bring the broody hen and do this inside...and then acclimate her and the chicks back into the coop later?

2. Assuming that she accepts them (and you all say it's ok...) my other concern is that my nest boxes are off the ground by about 2 feet. How will the chicks access food/water if they are in the nest box with her? Do I put food and water in there for them? OR do I set up an alternative nest box on the ground in the coop for her and the chicks?

3. IF the Buff accepts them...will she protect them from the other hens? Or do I need to separate her and the chicks from the other hens?

4. I'm feeding the older 6 chicks a medicated chick feed...and assumed I'd do the same for the new incoming chicks...but is that ok for the Buff to eat as well? Or how do I separate that feed for the babies, from the adult feed?

Thanks for your thoughts, and any advice you may have.

1. I realize that it's best done at night, but is it ok to do this out in the main coop (she has been sitting/brooding in one of our nest boxes.) I have 5 other hens in the coop...none of whom have ever raised chicks. Three are 6 years old, and 3 (including the broody buff) are just coming two years old. OR do I bring the broody hen and do this inside...and then acclimate her and the chicks back into the coop later?

I always do this in the main coop.

2. Assuming that she accepts them (and you all say it's ok...) my other concern is that my nest boxes are off the ground by about 2 feet. How will the chicks access food/water if they are in the nest box with her? Do I put food and water in there for them? OR do I set up an alternative nest box on the ground in the coop for her and the chicks?

My nests are 2 or 3 feet high. I just putt he chicks in with the hen and walk away. When she is ready she tells them to go jump to the coop floor and they do. They never return to the nest, she takes them to a place on the coop floor to sleep at night. Usually in a corner but not always. You can put a nest down there if you wish. She might use it, she might not.

3. IF the Buff accepts them...will she protect them from the other hens? Or do I need to separate her and the chicks from the other hens?

I always leave mine with the flock and she protects them. Others have had different experiences. You are dealing with living animals, no one can give you any guarantees as to what living animals will do, but this has never been a problem for me.

4. I'm feeding the older 6 chicks a medicated chick feed...and assumed I'd do the same for the new incoming chicks...but is that ok for the Buff to eat as well? Or how do I separate that feed for the babies, from the adult feed?

You cannot keep the chicks from eating the adult feed. The hen will pick it up and drop it on the ground for them. Within two weeks the chicks will be flying up to the adult feed if it is raised. You can keep the adults from eating the chick feed by using what is called a creep feeder. That means you put the chick feed in an area with openings too small for the adults to get through.

A common way to get around this problem is to feed them all the same low-calcium feed and offer oyster shell on the side for the hens that need the extra calcium for egg shells. The ones that don't need the extra calcium shouldn't eat enough oyster shell to hurt themselves.

I always like to know what the medicine is in medicated feed before I suggest what is safe and what is not. The medicine is probably Amprolium, though there are a few other drugs that can be in medicated feed. If it is Amprolium you can feed that medicated fed to your entire flock, the eggs are still safe for you to eat. If it is somethign other than Amprolium, then you need to know what it is before you know that it is safe.

My nests are 2 or 3 feet high. I just putt he chicks in with the hen and walk away. When she is ready she tells them to go jump to the coop floor and they do. They never return to the nest, she takes them to a place on the coop floor to sleep at night. Usually in a corner but not always. You can put a nest down there if you wish. She might use it, she might not.

I always leave mine with the flock and she protects them. Others have had different experiences. You are dealing with living animals, no one can give you any guarantees as to what living animals will do, but this has never been a problem for me.

You cannot keep the chicks from eating the adult feed. The hen will pick it up and drop it on the ground for them. Within two weeks the chicks will be flying up to the adult feed if it is raised. You can keep the adults from eating the chick feed by using what is called a creep feeder. That means you put the chick feed in an area with openings too small for the adults to get through.

A common way to get around this problem is to feed them all the same low-calcium feed and offer oyster shell on the side for the hens that need the extra calcium for egg shells. The ones that don't need the extra calcium shouldn't eat enough oyster shell to hurt themselves.

I always like to know what the medicine is in medicated feed before I suggest what is safe and what is not. The medicine is probably Amprolium, though there are a few other drugs that can be in medicated feed. If it is Amprolium you can feed that medicated fed to your entire flock, the eggs are still safe for you to eat. If it is somethign other than Amprolium, then you need to know what it is before you know that it is safe.

How do you handle water for the chicks? I have a suspended nipple system for my hens...so I’m thinking a ground waterer near her nest?

:goodpost:

This is exactly what I do, and I've never had any problems with other hens bothering broody and chicks. Once I see where Mom makes her ground nest, I put a little feeder with chick feed and a small waterer nearby. The other hens may wander over to eat out of it too, but some gets in the chicks. Definitely remove the layer feed for now, if you are using it.

How do you handle water for the chicks? I have a suspended nipple system for my hens...so I’m thinking a ground waterer near her nest?

I use something like this. This is actually from my grow-out coop but I put this on a large piece of plywood on the coop floor and fill it with small rocks so the chicks can "walk on water" instead of getting stuck inside when they step in. The adult chickens scratch bedding up on the plywood so I have to occasionally dump that off but it keeps them from scratching shavings into the water nearly as badly as they would otherwise. The chicks will stand on the rocks and poop in it so I dump the water out daily to keep it fresh.

Grow out Water.JPG

I don't use a nipple system but that will probably work fine for the chicks as long as they can reach. I see a lot of posts on here where people use nipples for chicks. Hopefully someone that does that will see this and help you with that.

I don't worry about putting food and water where the chicks can get to them while they and the hen are still on the nest. I know a lot of people do but I don't. When it is time my hens bring them off the nest onto the coop floor where they can get to food and water.

:goodpost:

This is exactly what I do, and I've never had any problems with other hens bothering broody and chicks. Once I see where Mom makes her ground nest, I put a little feeder with chick feed and a small waterer nearby. The other hens may wander over to eat out of it too, but some gets in the chicks. Definitely remove the layer feed for now, if you are using it.

Thank you Morrigan! I'll remove it tonight when I do the switcheroo. :) I might just move it out to the run if you think she'll keep them inside the coop for now?

I use something like this. This is actually from my grow-out coop but I put this on a large piece of plywood on the coop floor and fill it with small rocks so the chicks can "walk on water" instead of getting stuck inside when they step in. The adult chickens scratch bedding up on the plywood so I have to occasionally dump that off but it keeps them from scratching shavings into the water nearly as badly as they would otherwise. The chicks will stand on the rocks and poop in it so I dump the water out daily to keep it fresh.

View attachment 1384883

I don't use a nipple system but that will probably work fine for the chicks as long as they can reach. I see a lot of posts on here where people use nipples for chicks. Hopefully someone that does that will see this and help you with that.

I don't worry about putting food and water where the chicks can get to them while they and the hen are still on the nest. I know a lot of people do but I don't. When it is time my hens bring them off the nest onto the coop floor where they can get to food and water.

I like how you elevated it, and the idea of the rocks...the first thought I had when thinking of putting a ground waterer in there was how dirty it was going to get within minutes. I might try suspending a second nipple bucket I have, putting it low to the ground in place of one of the feeders. I'm sure they'll figure it out quickly as their new mom would be used to it. I'm heading to pick them up now, and will make sure they have plenty of water today to keep them hydrated for the switch and acclimation tonight. Thank you again!

Just wanted to thank you both again...the outcome was a total success!

I slipped them under her last night about 9pm - I was a bit nervous as they were peeping away as I walked across the lawn...thinking they'd raise a ruckus as I was trying to quietly enter the coop...but it was a non issue. They became quiet very quickly after they were under her (I have to say that I ended up pulling one back out thinking I might have tucked her in a bit too far...thinking maybe she couldn't breathe due to be squished by mama's weight. HA! Ended up tucking them both more under her wing. They went under without issue and other than pecking me a few times due to having her sleep disrupted, mama didn't move. I rechecked them about an hour later...all was well (I picked up her wing to see if they were ok, and they were both snuggled in and sound asleep.) This morning they popped their heads out to look at me when I went into the coop...and then dove back out of sight. Gave me a chuckle. The other hens were going about their business, maybe a little curious, but definitely no malice. When she still hadn't moved by this afternoon, I decided to put the water and chick food I had used in their brooder yesterday, in the nest box. I was a little worried that they may get dehydrated without water because although I thought they were about 2 days old when I headed to pick them up yesterday, I think honestly they're closer to 5-6 days (although they are tiny and down covered, I can see the start of feathers coming in...so my guess is have been drinking and feeding regularly already.) They stayed hidden while I was placing the food and water...but I waited, peeking through the door after I left, and out they popped and went right over and started drinking...even mama drank. So I think I made the right decision. Our nest boxes are trough style, so there is room for the food and water for now...I'll remove them once she moves the babies out of there. I think we've had a great first day, and I'm thrilled it went so smoothly. Perfect outcome for Mother's Day. :) Again, my appreciation for your thoughts!
IMG_3839.JPG
IMG_3840.JPG

So cute!

It's amazing how chicks quiet right down after they go under Mom. A couple of years ago, I put 8 chicks I had incubated under a broody. It was incredible to see the the chicks go from this loud, trampling horde to dead silent in a matter of seconds. Post insertion, I would have never even guessed there was a single thing under Mom.

Back
Top Bottom