Introducing a Tom

MiniFarmLife2020

Hatching
Apr 27, 2024
Hello!! New Turkey mom here. Last year we got baby turkeys and raised them inside until feathered. Then they went outside with our Chickens. They all turned out to be females and they love us! They follow us around, lay down when we walk up to them, come when I call them. They’re amazing!

My question is, I was going to introduce a Tom (same age as them, approx 1 year old). Will they still be obsessed with us once they have their Tom?

Hello!! New Turkey mom here. Last year we got baby turkeys and raised them inside until feathered. Then they went outside with our Chickens. They all turned out to be females and they love us! They follow us around, lay down when we walk up to them, come when I call them. They’re amazing!

My question is, I was going to introduce a Tom (same age as them, approx 1 year old). Will they still be obsessed with us once they have their Tom?
You human imprinted them. They may reject the tom. You won't know until you try.

I raised a female poult inside my house and she turned very aggressive towards the males, so I feared she won't be able to have offspring herself. In the end she had lots of offspring herself. 😊

I raised a female poult inside my house and she turned very aggressive towards the males, so I feared she won't be able to have offspring herself. In the end she had lots of offspring herself. 😊
Another member firmly believed in human imprinting his poults. In the end the only way his hens would accept the toms was if he stood there while the hens would submit for him so the toms could mount and breed them.

Others have had the hens refuse to submit for the toms.

I went and got a 1 year old Tom. He’s a Royal Palm just like my hens and same size as well. Today is day 4. He’s been in a separate pen at night and during the day my girls free range and he’s in a run.

My question is, how long do I keep him separate from the flock (my flock is a mix of chickens and female turkeys)?

Also, he’ll be 100% free range in the day and I’m worried he’ll leave. How long until he knows this is his new home?

Last edited:
I went and got a 1 year old Tom. Same bread and size of my 3 hens. Today is day 4. He’s been in a separate pen at night and during the day my girls free range and he’s in a run.

My question is, how long do I keep him separate from the flock (my flock is a mix of chickens and female turkeys)?

Also, he’ll be 100% free range in the day and I’m worried he’ll leave. How long until he knows this is his new home?
The proper way is to do standard quarantine until you are sure you are not bringing in any pests or diseases.

It shouldn't take too long for him to understand that this is where the water and food is. He is highly unlikely to leave your hens at this time of year.

FYI any turkey you brought in is the same breed as your hens. They are all the breed Turkey. You brought in the same variety as your hens.

Back
Top Bottom