International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Went thru all eggs yesterday and I've got 11 eggs from Angel collected.
How many should I shove under her? All 11 or 12 if she lays today and see what hatches?
I could and probably should crack a couple open to check fertility but I'm sure they are, but to be safe. That would give me 9-10 for her.
If I was thinking like @Chooks man would want me to think....
He favored Angel from the start, and seeing that I only hatched 1 egg from her, I think this is my smart move.
Definitely hatch more if you can.
I don’t really know why cracking the egg open to check fertility is worth it when hatching your own eggs. If it’s fertile you’ve wasted one and if it isn’t nothing will happen anyway.

If she can fit that many eggs under her, I’d hatch them all. I know they are difficult to candle but you could always give it a go and leave her with only the good ones after a week or so.

Definitely hatch more if you can.
I don’t really know why cracking the egg open to check fertility is worth it when hatching your own eggs. If it’s fertile you’ve wasted one and if it isn’t nothing will happen anyway.

If she can fit that many eggs under her, I’d hatch them all. I know they are difficult to candle but you could always give it a go and leave her with only the good ones after a week or so.
She got at least 13 under now and she's covering them but that's a good idea, thanks. I'll just swap out the 13 with the 11 from Angel and then go from there...thanks.

Went thru all eggs yesterday and I've got 11 eggs from Angel collected.
How many should I shove under her? All 11 or 12 if she lays today and see what hatches?
I could and probably should crack a couple open to check fertility but I'm sure they are, but to be safe. That would give me 9-10 for her.
If I was thinking like @Chooks man would want me to think....
He favored Angel from the start, and seeing that I only hatched 1 egg from her, I think this is my smart move.

I don't crack precious eggs. I candle them on day 3-4 and discard if not fertile.

Sounds like lots of chicks in your future. Now you need to train the broodys to leg band the chicks at hatch and you’ll be all set
Ha.....yes that would be nice. Hence the reasoning for me setting all Angels under Joannie. And I'm thinking I'm gonna set all Betty's under Momma. (have 8+)... Still slightly concerned about the coloring the 5 weeks old have, but got no boys from Betty and worse case I'm producing Chocolate Marans.... 🤪

But @Chooks man and @Bantambird both advised Kong x Betty is my best pairing in the beginning, so I need more than just the 3 pullets that hatched. But this way, gives me time to leg band and I'm still knowing what's who ...👍

20240509_115856.jpg
20240509_115912.jpg

I like this pullet

Back
Top Bottom