Integrating New Chickens

CasterlyFlock

Hatching
May 7, 2024
Hi! I am looking for some tips on integrating my 5 new chickens to my old flock of 4. No roosters in either flock.

Our old flock of 4 are about 1.5 years old. Our new flock are 16 weeks. They are roughly the same size, just a little less plump. We have had them introduced through a wire fence for a few weeks now and we are in the process of letting the chickens roam together.

It seems that occasionally the old flock will run up to scare off the new chickens. But mostly they are sticking to their own groups and are uninterested in each other. How do we get them to start roaming together? We keep them in separate coops but eventually we’d like to start having the new flock go into the old flocks coop. Any tips or advice? Thanks so much!

Welcome to BYC.
How do we get them to start roaming together?
You don't. They will when they are ready. Usually when the pullets start laying they will fully integrate.

Make sure that the old coop is always available during the day and close off the pullet's coop after you let them out. If the pullets are all waiting around their coop at roost time, let them in it. Eventually, they will all roost together in the old coop.

Welcome to BYC.

You don't. They will when they are ready. Usually when the pullets start laying they will fully integrate.

Make sure that the old coop is always available during the day and close off the pullet's coop after you let them out. If the pullets are all waiting around their coop at roost time, let them in it. Eventually, they will all roost together in the old coop.
Thanks so much! 😊

It will happen when they are laying. Even so, it is very possible they will stay as somewhat separate groups. I have three 6yo chickens from the first batch of chicks. One lives large and roams the run at will, not hanging with anyone in particular, but at night, roosts with the other two old biddies. The two old ones generally roam together. The younger chicks from last year and year before tend to hang in their own groups, but intermingle as they take dust baths and scratch around.

Maturity does wonders for a peaceful coop! Sometimes having a rooster can help with the integration, but not before they are laying. My rooster is wonderful, but he sees babies as invaders that need to be chased off! Until they reach sexual maturity of course, then he is all about the welcome wagon!!

Back
Top Bottom