injured quail...

quailtrail

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Maine
So as I previously posted my A&M female was attacked by my male Corturnix...he attacked the other A&M and she suffered terribly. This one is alive, eating and drinking well. She was scalped very deeply and lost an eye. It appears to be just a socket right now. Today she is scratching away at it. Is there something I can do or give her to help the healing process. I went from 6 to 2 quails... :(

I was able to get some neosporin on it but I was clearly stressing the poor thing. I did add some yogurt to the food on the side hoping it will help until the probiotics come in. They were all out at TSC.

Make sure you are keeping these birds in the proper ratio of 1 male to 4 to 7 females. Do not mix different breeds of quail and make sure to offer them at least 2 square foot per bird.

Also, you should add hidey places for the birds to escape each other. You can add cut branches from a tree nearby. Prop up the branches in the corners with leaves down so they can hide amongst the leaves.

Last edited:
At the time of the attack it was down 1:3. I was told I could have the corturnix and A&Ms together? He was killing off the A&Ms . I had hiding places but not branches...he was stalking the last one after he had attacked her.

You need to permanently remove this male. He is never going to get along and will continue to attack the others. Sometimes they just have a loose screw in the head.

Last edited:
We did remove him once we realized it was him. My daughter was so sad as he was our very 1st hatchling

Back
Top Bottom