Injured Chicken Hiding - What do we do?

AdventureChicken

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
The boys let the terrier out while the chickens (~7 weeks old) were free-ranging and she got some feathers out of one. The injured chicken managed to find a way under the patio and is hiding. Right now, she is withing arm's reach, and we can see her panting. Do we wait and try to lure her out, or try to grab her? Not sure how far under the patio the hole goes, so we are worried about her getting stuck where we can't reach her. We also don't know if anything was broken. No blood on the dog's mouth or the ground, so hoping just some plucked feathers. I don't want to traumatize or injure her more, so leaning towards waiting and seeing if food/dusk will lure her out...?

Do we wait it out? Do the other chickens need to be in the coop all day so they won't find and bully her? We just got our first chickens a couple weeks ago, so total noobs.

Also, any good links to how to evaluate chicken injuries and treat them appreciated. Praying she is okay, minus a few feathers, but I will want to check for broken wings and stuff I'm assuming?

I would try to coax her out on her own first by showing her a treat that she might like. My chickens will run when they sell my red can that I carry a bit of scratch grains or some chopped scrambled egg. If she doesn’t come out you could try to get her out with a broom, but that might risk her getting away. If she seems to be really hurt, that may be necessary. Usually, though they will come out to be with the other chickens and to go opinto the coop in the evening. Vetericyn or a similar wound spray is good for wounds. Chlorhexidene 2% is good, and can be found in most pharmacies. Betadine diluted is also good. Avoid peroxide unless you have to use it, and do that only once.
After cleaning the wound, apply polysporin or triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. Take pictures of any wounds and post them.

Thanks! She came out a little while ago, and we have her in "hospital" in a cardboard box in the shower. I did my best to check for injuries, and didn't see anything beyond missing feathers. No bleeding wounds that I could find, and she seems to be able to move both wings and legs okay. (She hasn't flapped her wings, but they looked normal and I was able to move them a little bit and she settled them back in place normally.)

That said, she has been making weird white watery poops, probably one every 20 minutes or so. They look a little bit like egg whites. And just now she made a soft chirpy sound and one drop of blood came out followed by another white poop.

She is very quiet and still, but does react when I make an unusual noise (like turn on the tap, whistle, etc.). And when I come back in the room after being gone for a bit, she does a VERY soft chirp. But mostly she just wants to sit still with her eyes half/mostly closed. She will only drink water if I drip it onto her beak and then pet her back. No interest in food yet.

I did put a little antibiotic around the area of feather loss (her back end) like you guys suggested. She lets me touch her without a fight, but I don't know what's normal for chickens when they are injured - will they try to stop you if something hurts like a dog would? I don't want to make anything worse with my clumsy attempts at first aid.

I'll attach a picture of her where you can see the poo with the drop of blood. She doesn't look mangled - but she used to have a lot more tail feathers.

Attachments

• 20200408_142242.jpg
    20200408_142242.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom