injured but rugged little chick

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
last night a neighbor girl bought me a little chick that is blind in one eye and acts drunk. she said please fix it, with big tears running full force. I was betting it would be dead by morning. but I would give it the best chance I could, I made sure it took a drink of water, but it wouldn't eat. I put it in a wash cloth and held it almost all night. it was about 4 A M and I need to use the restroom, so I put the little guy in with some others I am doctoring. these are about three weeks old now, well when I got back there was no noise. I figured it had died, then I saw what had happened, it had crawled under the others and the heat. when the girl got here this morning we looked in and the chick was still alive. that is when she told me what happened, her Mother had dropped it. it is still blind in one eye but if it lives another day, the neighborhood will have a one eyed chicken running around. I will check its eye tomorrow afternoon. It may just need to be cleaned out, but I don't want to chance getting it cold.

Hope the little chick makes it! Poor little thing. Keep us updated. Sounds like it needs a little tender loving care and some rest.
fl.gif

my prayers will be with the lil popeye chick and it was wonderful for you to take care of it! let us know how it's doin plz.

When I got home from work he was walking around, still like a drunk. After dinner I am going to look at his eye. It is still closed, but he is trying to open it. It may just have something in it. I wish I knew how to post photos here. I get a couple of the other chicks cuddling this one. It is time to remove the older ones now that they are well, but I am not going to do it if they keep treating the little guy the way they do. The first time one pecks him, they are out of there. We figured out his fall was like a person falling 8 to 10 stories from a buliding. Not many could make that fall.

You can post pics through photobucket. Its very easy..and free!
So glad to hear the little one is doing better. You are a good chicken mom...taking care of the wee one.

That's nice...I think you should keep him and call him Cruz...Like old rugged cross...
wink.png

Remind me not to do a google search for "head boink in chicks"...OY!
Dlhunicorn knows what to do for head boink...my brain's not on yet.

what kind of chick is it (do you know?) and how old? It might simply be a case of dehydration >>> get some vit/electrolytes into it (if you do not have bird electroytes then gatorade or diluted pedialyte will do in a pinch)... dribble along its beak to ensure it does not get into lungs...dhydration occurs very quickly in birds and it could be that the other birds were keeping it from drink and feed... also if you have it I would suggest you give it three drops of polyvisol (liquid hildrensvitamins) for one week then taper off as the eye thing might simply be a vit A deficiency... try to flush it gently with sterile saline Good Luck...

Day three and he is still here, doing much better. I washed the eye out real good last night, it is open now but I am not sure if it can see. It is a cross between a white silkie (Mother) and a red frizzle (Father). He still walks like a drunk, I think it may have brain damage. He is getting plenty of water. The reason he has a problem is Julie's Mother picked him up and dropped him from about chest high as she was cuddling him. Just what I need, a brain damaged chicken. I can't wait until he is well enough for Julie to take him home. I gave her the parents of the little fellow. Sorry ladies for using he, him and the like, it may be a she.

Back
Top Bottom