Incubating shipped duck eggs

Beanfox

Chirping
Jan 17, 2024
I have some duck eggs arriving tomorrow to try my hand at hatching.

My question is: do I need to subtract the 3 days it took for shipping from the total amount of days? Or do I just start at day 1 when I get them?

Just trying to figure out when the lockdown period should start and what not

Day 1 starts 24 after you set them in the incubator. Make sure that you let the eggs rest fat end up after they arrive for at least 24 hours so the air cells have time to settle.

Day 1 starts 24 after you set them in the incubator. Make sure that you let the eggs rest fat end up after they arrive for at least 24 hours so the air cells have time to settle.
Awesome thankyou!

Would you say 99° and 50-55% humidity (increasing during lockdown) is good to aim for?

Also what day would you recommend starting lockdown? (If any make it)

Yes, that is the ideal humidity and temp. Do you have a separate calibrated thermometer or hygrometer? The built in ones are usually off which can potentially harm your eggs.

If the eggs are a mallard derived breed lockdown should be on day 25. If they start pipping before that you can lockdown early.

Keep us posted on their progress!

Yes, that is the ideal humidity and temp. Do you have a separate calibrated thermometer or hygrometer? The built in ones are usually off which can potentially harm your eggs.

If the eggs are a mallard derived breed lockdown should be on day 25. If they start pipping before that you can lockdown early.

Keep us posted on their progress!
I do have two seperate hygrometers to use, not including the Incubator one!

I’ve seen 60-75% humidity is ideal for lockdown, would you say that’s about right?

I’ll post updates! I’m nervous and excited 🤣

I am going to try hatching call ducks! I was going to get some ducklings but figured I would try hatching some myself first
Call ducks are very challenging to hatch so I would not expect a good hatch rate. I believe calls do better with a lower humidity of 30%, which is close to doing a dry incubation, and lockdown is on day 23.

Here is an article on assisting call duck eggs if/when the time comes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/assisting-call-duck-hatches.76507/

Call ducks are very challenging to hatch so I would not expect a good hatch rate. I believe calls do better with a lower humidity of 30%, which is close to doing a dry incubation, and lockdown is on day 23.

Here is an article on assisting call duck eggs if/when the time comes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/assisting-call-duck-hatches.76507/
My expectations aren’t too high, I’ve read they are fairly difficult and often need assistance when hatching.

I’m glad you mentioned the lower humidity and lockdown day!That is something I did not see when looking stuff up.

I will check out that article! Seems very useful

Back
Top Bottom