Incubating eggs

ChickenCide

Hatching
May 19, 2024
I am not new to incubating eggs but I have begun having issues with the process. I am going to list all pertinent info and please let me know any opinion.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance that incubates 7 eggs, auto turning, humidifier, temp regulated. I have used it for quite some time however the last few incubations have been unsuccessful. they used to hatch on time, hatching approximately 5 to 7 eggs.
The hatches have begun taking longer, this last time was 24 days.
2 eggs were nothing/not developed
1 egg pecked a hole for its beak through the shell, but died
3 were developed fully ( I broke open the eggs and checked) but never hatched at all
1 hatched but was weak and died within 2 days.

I have researched this and the longer hatch time indicates inadequate or "lower" temps. I keep it so it never runs out of water for humidity. I dont OVER DUE anything, I keep it wear i can check on it, and it maintains the correct temp and settings, although i have not independently verified the temp which i will do, it responds appropriately when the lid is lifted every 3 or 4 days to replenish the water for humidity. Again, this is not my first rodeo, it is a problem that has developed while previously always successful, now it is having issues. There is no "out of the ordinary" things occurring so please don't ask about weird stuff. There has been no change in my process. It is simply, the machine has always hatched an 80 percent to 100 percent rate, and recently has been having the results i have indicated. I am hoping, given the results i am getting, someone can identify what it indicates the issue is, although verifying the humidity and the temp with another device are obviously the first steps. I am asking for opinions based off results at this point.

These are the settings I use:
Temp 99.5
Set for 21 days
Turn mode is on
Turn interval is every 60 mins
Turn angle is 10 degrees
Alarm for hi and low temp regulation is set to go off
cooling is set for every 60 mins (I am thinking this may be too frequent)

I also am concerned it did not automatically stop turning after day 18 or 19 but that is something I can regulate manually and turn off.

It is producing humidity, I need to double check the actual humidity level but there is apparent humidity in the machine and it is going through the water so that is an unknown variable.

The question i really have is given the results i am having with developing and taking an extra 3 days to hatch, and beign weak, or non hatching birds, what would you believe the issue is?

I have always used these settings, the machine, there has been no change in my process it has simply started to not produce viable chicks. Please let me know if you have any HELPFUL thoughts.
- I would also appreciate any thoughts on what settings you have your incubators on as well. TY.

Last edited:
I would start off by checking the temperature with a separate calibrated thermometer. The built in ones are almost always a little off, and an older incubator may not be as accurate as it once was. If the temp checks out I would look at the eggs you are trying to hatch. Shipped eggs, certain breeds, old or inbred parental stock, parents with poor diets, genetics, old or improperly stored eggs, can all be causes of high mortality rates in the egg. Do you have another incubator that you hatch side by side with the incubator you are having problems with to see if it yields better hatch results?

I am not new to incubating eggs but I have begun having issues with the process. I am going to list all pertinent info and please let me know any opinion.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance that incubates 7 eggs, auto turning, humidifier, temp regulated. I have used it for quite some time however the last few incubations have been unsuccessful. they used to hatch on time, hatching approximately 5 to 7 eggs.
3 were developed fully ( I broke open the eggs and checked) but never hatched at all

I have researched this and the longer hatch time indicates inadequate or "lower" temps. I keep it so it never runs out of water for humidity. I dont OVER DUE anything, I keep it wear i can check on it, and it maintains the correct temp and settings, although i have not independently verified the temp which i will do, it responds appropriately when the lid is lifted every 3 or 4 days to replenish the water for humidity. Again, this is not my first rodeo, it is a problem that has developed while previously always successful, now it is having issues. There is no "out of the ordinary" things occurring so please don't ask about weird stuff. There has been no change in my process. It is simply, the machine has always hatched an 80 percent to 100 percent rate, and recently has been having the results i have indicated. I am hoping, given the results i am getting, someone can identify what it indicates the issue is, although verifying the humidity and the temp with another device are obviously the first steps. I am asking for opinions based off results at this point.

Temp 99.5
Set for 21 days
Turn mode is on
Turn angle is 10 degrees

I also am concerned it did not automatically stop turning after day 18 or 19 but that is something I can regulate manually and turn off.

It is producing humidity, I need to double check the actual humidity level but there is apparent humidity in the machine and it is going through the water so that is an unknown variable.

The question i really have is given the results i am having with developing and taking an extra 3 days to hatch, and beign weak, or non hatching birds, what would you believe the issue is?

I have always used these settings, the machine, there has been no change in my process it has simply started to not produce viable chicks. Please let me know if you have any HELPFUL thoughts.
Still looking for any helpful insight as to what causes this to occur. As we all know there are Many factors that can play into this, I am looking for someone familiar with this situation that can say, yes, this occurs when temp is too low, or it should not be cooling every 60 mins, someone that understand all things being equal, why there would suddenly be a change in production rate and given THE FACTS PROVIDED why suddenly they would be developing almost to the point of hatching but not being viable. ANYONE?

Temp 99.5
Set for 21 days
Turn mode is on
Turn angle is 10 degrees

- I would also appreciate any thoughts on what settings you have your incubators on as well. TY.
I am new to hatching but I wanted to also mention perhaps the humidity is too high. Your room humidity might be playing into extra humidity inside with the eggs. I read that chicks that are fully formed without hatching can sometimes drown from too high of humidity. Maybe also look into dry incubating?

I am new to hatching but I wanted to also mention perhaps the humidity is too high. Your room humidity might be playing into extra humidity inside with the eggs. I read that chicks that are fully formed without hatching can sometimes drown from too high of humidity. Maybe also look into dry incubating?
thank you so much, that is exactly the input I am looking for. Thank you soo much I am going to look into this.

Addendum
I just looked into what you said and I think you are 100 percent correct. I found the instructions for my humidifier on line and when I looked specifically into the humidity I think I found what has gone wrong with the humidity, why it was too hi, and it also says the eggs should be weighed at the beginning and periodically through the incubation and should lose 15% of their weight so I am going to do this and monitor them thank you so much.

Last edited:
thank you so much, that is exactly the input I am looking for. Thank you soo much I am going to look into this.

Addendum
I just looked into what you said and I think you are 100 percent correct. I found the instructions for my humidifier on line and when I looked specifically into the humidity I think I found what has gone wrong with the humidity, why it was too hi, and it also says the eggs should be weighed at the beginning and periodically through the incubation and should lose 15% of their weight so I am going to do this and monitor them thank you so much.
Yes I read a lot about humidity with incubation and hatching. I saw a lot of times chicks drown with higher humidity. I bought a set of 2 Govee hygrometers. One is in my bathroom and one is inside the incubator. That way I can keep track of the ambient room humidity. It's so nasty and humid here in FL. I decided that a dry hatch might be better. I'm going to attempt to dry hatch all the way. No water at all. My incubator is sitting between 32-35% humidity with no water. Development has been good. Air cells look good.

I hope this helps you have a better hatch rate.

I have researched this and the longer hatch time indicates inadequate or "lower" temps. I keep it so it never runs out of water for humidity.
I have always used these settings, the machine,
I think I found what has gone wrong with the humidity, why it was too hi, and it also says the eggs should be weighed at the beginning and periodically through the incubation and should lose 15% of their weight so I am going to do this and monitor them thank you so much.

:welcome Welcome 1st place to start would be your actual temps and humidity in incubator, not just trusting your incubator. As they are usually wrong, and nothing runs perfect forever then we might be able to go from there. Sounds like your machine may not be holding correct temp as it used too and is running lower temps now causing later and later hatches. Humidity can be forgiving and has a fairly wide range of acceptability, but could also be your problem as you are not getting any viable chicks hatched even late. As chicks are drowning due to not enough water loss in eggs from too much humidity in incubator. You can weigh eggs as you stated for weight loss, or you can candle checking air cell growth so you can get by without a hygrometer. I personally use a hygrometer and check air cells by candling periodically. But temp is much more important and should have very little variance. If all things other is the same I believe those 2 variables should get you back on track. I have calibrated thermometers and hygrometers inside all my incubators.
I am new to hatching but I wanted to also mention perhaps the humidity is too high.

Last edited:

:welcome Welcome 1st place to start would be your actual temps and humidity in incubator, not just trusting your incubator. As they are usually wrong, and nothing runs perfect forever then we might be able to go from there. Sounds like your machine may not be holding correct temp as it used too and is running lower temps now causing later and later hatches. Humidity can be forgiving and has a fairly wide range of acceptability, but could also be your problem as you are not getting any viable chicks hatched even late. As chicks are drowning due to not enough water loss in eggs from too much humidity in incubator. You can weigh eggs as you stated for weight loss, or you can candle checking air cell growth so you can get by without a hygrometer. I personally use a hygrometer and check air cells by candling periodically. But temp is much more important and should have very little variance. If all things other is the same I believe those 2 variables should get you back on track. I have calibrated thermometers and hygrometers inside all my incubators.
thanks everything you wrote is in line with what i found too. I contacted Brinsea and learned a few more things about my incubator and will be double checking temp and humidity. I adjusted turning as it turns a little different than I understood, I eliminated the cool down as they recommend that being eliminated but said people have differing thoughts regarding it. Im in CA so it is not too humid like it can be in other states, I also was not filling the water correctly.. and a few other minor tweeks, i weighed the eggs and will chart and graph them for weight loss and see how it goes. thanks for your Feedback from you and everyone.

thanks everything you wrote is in line with what i found too. I contacted Brinsea and learned a few more things about my incubator and will be double checking temp and humidity. I adjusted turning as it turns a little different than I understood, I eliminated the cool down as they recommend that being eliminated but said people have differing thoughts regarding it. Im in CA so it is not too humid like it can be in other states, I also was not filling the water correctly.. and a few other minor tweeks, i weighed the eggs and will chart and graph them for weight loss and see how it goes. thanks for your Feedback from you and everyone.
Good luck hope everything works out for you and your next hatches.

Back
Top Bottom