In 100 degree heat - what do you do with your babies?

Pecked2Death

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
I am looking at trying my hand at hatching some eggs - if now is a bad time to do this - please tell me.

I live in Al, no Banjo, but right now we are very hot and humid. Do you still need the lights and everything (tracor supply sells a kit that is a cardboard exterior wall and the feed and water for 2-3 chicks??? So can I put the chick in a safe, totally inclosed area in my yard in a very shady place and proved everything other than the heat lamp - or do I need a fan? Do I still need a heat lamp?

We bought our first chickens from a lady who hatches hers in the winter, and raises them in her garage until they are big enough to go into the barn - so that is my only exposure!

help greatly appreciated! :)

I dont think you need a heat lamp if its 100 degrees outside. (Its 100 here too) But make sure they have cool water to drink and all shade or mostly shade. But the cardboard wall might not be enough protection during the night and when your not home. They could get out or get eaten.

Thanks Rebecca!

I always wanted to be a vet. A teacher at school told me I wasn't smat enough. I now know I would have been - so LIVE YOUR DREAM! it is amazing what you can learn when you love what you are doing.
I am homeschooling my three kids and I want them to do whatever they want - no matter if it is a college education or a labour intensive job - it would be great if they were missionaries - but I encourage them to get a useful degree if they want to do that.

Anyway - I wouldn't use the cardboard thing - I nearly died when I saw it!! it's like invited cats in for a banquet. :)

Stef

I'm guessing you're hatching your eggs in an incubator...hence the need to brood them yourself. The general rule of thumb with chicks is 95 the first week and you decrease the heat 5 degrees every week after. I usually start my chicks somewhere in the mid to high 80s and they've all been fine. I think you could get away with putting them out during the day with no heat lamp (especially if you can provide sun and shade- they'll bathe in the sun to warm up and go to the shade to cool down). But you'll probably have to give them some heat at night. If you go with the cardboard set up from tractor supply, I wouldn't recomend putting it outside. A dog or any other hungry predator would be through that cardboard in no time flat. My chicks spend their outside time inside some metal panels I've zip tied together, but a dog crate or some hardware clothe and t-posts would work just as well. If you watch your chicks, they'll tell you how they're feeling. If they're huddled in a pile, they're too cold. If they're all spread out and panting, they're too hot. If they're quiet and doing their cute little chicken things they're good to go. Chicks are alot tougher then you'd think, I say put them outside and see how they do. Worst case scenario is you'll have to bring them in or put up a heat lamp for them. Good luck!!!

goodpost.gif

Thanks - thats great advice! Just for the record - I would NEVER put chicks in a cardboard thing like Tractor supply was selling - I just picked one up to look at it (in the clearance isle) and I couldn;t believe that, that was their starter kit!

Thanks - This group is great!

The cardboard would be ok in the house or an enclosed area with no predators for a week or so.The TSC starter kit consists of a feeder,waterer, a small bag of feed and the cardboard. The feeder and waterer are ok when they are small if you don't have alot of chcks.You can use the box to transport them while they are little, has ventilation holes. And comes with some coupons. I think you would be better off just buying it all separately though. Just my .02.

Last edited:
My chicks heat lamp gets turned off first thing in the morning. Lots of fresh water available and shade. It's hot, but they'll be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom