I'm so old I Remember when:

Anyone else remember when everyone's home had a stack of newspaper? Newspapers were used for everything: lining drawers, covering notebooks, newspapers drives at schools, model-making, paper mache, etc.

I wanted to paint some lumber and immediately thought, "I should put down some newspaper to protect the table," (the patio table in the backyard where all such projects take place). Then I realized I hadn't seen a newspaper in years.

I went out to buy one from a vending machine but there were none to be found. The days of people honorably paying for and taking only one paper are long gone, and so are the vending machines that worked that way. They silently disappeared from the landscape, like phone booths. I hadn't even noticed.

I had a vague memory of newspapers sometimes being sold at the end of the checkout counters in big box stores so I went to Walmart and then Target but employees at both place looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about newspapers. Yes, I am old, thanks for noticing. :rolleyes:

On my way home as a last ditch effort I stopped at a liquor store which did, in fact, have a few copies of a statewide newspaper - for $5 each. FIVE DOLLARS for a day-old newspaper?!

I ended up using a drop cloth which of course is made for that purpose but man I miss newspapers. The 25-cent kind.

1715636708825.png

Anyone else remember when everyone's home had a stack of newspaper? Newspapers were used for everything: lining drawers, covering notebooks, newspapers drives at schools, model-making, paper mache, etc.

I wanted to paint some lumber and immediately thought, "I should put down some newspaper to protect the table," (the patio table in the backyard where all such projects take place). Then I realized I hadn't seen a newspaper in years.

I went out to buy one from a vending machine but there were none to be found. The days of people honorably paying for and taking only one paper are long gone, and so are the vending machines that worked that way. They silently disappeared from the landscape, like phone booths. I hadn't even noticed.

I had a vague memory of newspapers sometimes being sold at the end of the checkout counters in big box stores so I went to Walmart and then Target but employees at both place looked at me like I was crazy when I asked them about newspapers. Yes, I am old, thanks for noticing. :rolleyes:

On my way home as a last ditch effort I stopped at a liquor store which did, in fact, have a few copies of a statewide newspaper - for $5 each. FIVE DOLLARS for a day-old newspaper?!

I ended up using a drop cloth which of course is made for that purpose but man I miss newspapers. The 25-cent kind.

View attachment 3830896
Back when I managed a convenience store, all of five years ago, we still sold newspapers.

View attachment 3830896
Buy a subscription to a newspaper and a bunch of iPads. Then open the newspaper on the iPads. When you need to clean up just go back to the homescreen and it'll be as cleans as ever before.

I'm so old I remember the man that stood on street corners in Detroit, MI, dressed in old cloths, and shook a handful of the colored comics out of the news paper at cars as they drove by. An aunt of mine later told me that the man was a well to do businessman that just wanted to make people laugh and have a better day. That was in the mid 60's.

I'm so old I remember when backyard chickens where a way of life in small town America and there was no internet to talk about our flocks. Way back in the 1950's. Murray McMurray, Strombergs, and Cackle where the catalogs of dreams for small time poultry owners. You could still buy Pure White Cornish back then too.

Back
Top Bottom