If i breed a blue ameraucana rooster to a dominique hen what would i end up with

Blue X Black: 50% Blue, 50% Black.

But in this case the hen is Barred so chicks will be sexlinked, with the males hatching with a headspot, & feather out barred. Females will be solid at hatch, & feather out solid black, or blue.

Offspring may have rose combs, & white shanks as well.
What are some other combos that will produce sex linked chicks please?

What are some other combos that will produce sex linked chicks please?
Any solid rooster over a Barred Hen.

I wouldn't use solid white cuz the barring would be hard to spot on males.

I didn't define breed, since that don't matter. It's the color of the birds that does.

Some other combinations that'll work:

Black rooster X Barred Hen

Red Rooster X Barred Hen

Buff Rooster X Barred Hen

Laced Rooster X Barred Hen

Last edited:

I didn't define breed, since that don't matter. It's the color of the birds that does.

Red Rooster X Barred Hen

Headspot maybe hard to spot on chicks, look for barring on feathers.

My favorite rhode island red over barred hen

Red Rooster X Barred Hen

This is great info! Besides barred rock and Dominiques, are there other barred chicken? Will all laced chickens have the barred gene?

This is great info! Besides barred rock and Dominiques, are there other barred chicken?
Yes. Any that are called Barred or Cuckoo, like Barred Cochins or Cuckoo Marans. You can usually just look at them to see: if they are black with white stripes across the feathers, they are probably barred. There are one or two breeds that have a similar appearance caused by other genes (example: Egyptian Fayoumi), but they do look a bit different, and they aren't particularly common.

Will all laced chickens have the barred gene?
No. Lacing and barring are caused by different genes, and it is pretty rare to have them in the same chicken. "Candy Corn" Polish have lacing and barring, but I can't think of any others at present. (That is because of the choices people have made about what to breed. There is no genetic reason to have them separate.)

Barring (caused by the barring gene) is white lines running across the feather. White barring on a black chicken makes a nice eye-catching contrast, which makes it a popular color variety. White barring on other colors of feathers can also happen, but is often called by other names (example: Crele.)

Lacing is a black edge on a gold feather. It is caused by a combination of several genes, that together control the way the colors appear on each feather of the chicken.

Although I said lacing is a black edge on a gold feather, there are quite a few genes that can change the colors involved. Some genes can change the black to blue or splash or chocolate or lavender or white, but it is still around the edge of the feather. The middle part of the feather can also change color to become red or yellow/cream or white. But the basic pattern of one color around the edge, and a different color in the middle, does remain. There is also a variation called "multiple lacing" or "concentric penciling" that has more than one line around the edge of each feather (examples: Dark Cornish, Silver Penciled Rocks). The same color modifications that apply to single lacings can also happen with multiple lacing.

The reason @MysteryChicken said you can get sexlinks from a laced rooster and a barred hen: what you really need is a hen with the barring gene (barred) and a rooster with no barring gene. So the "laced rooster" was one example of a color that does not have barring, just like solid black roosters, red roosters like Rhode Island Red, or Buff roosters. All of those are rooster colors that have no barring, so they all work to produce sexlinked chicks when mated with a barred hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom