Huge lump on my chicken (pointy growth)

It is possible, but then the gland would be buried under that growth somewhere. Perhaps the gland is creating the scabbiness and building out the cone? Any ideas?

Her comb color is fading and she won't sleep or eat with the flock - though she eats just fine if I feed her separately. Poop looks normal, maybe larger than usual though.

Fernv did you ever figure this out, we have a hen that has the same thing, she eis also limping funny on the same side as the lump

This is the closest description to what my chicken has, in the same place. Mine definitely looks like she has an abscess on top of a large, hard mass (posted a separate thread about it). I feel so bad I didn't notice this before it got so bad!

I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone ever figured out what this was? I have a barred rock with the same exact looking hard, pointy mass coming out of her chest area.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 12
Thank you ~ I wish it was poop! I've seen some other threads with similar pictures mentioning necrotic dermatitis or possible tumor but I have yet to see anyone figure it out. Looks like it results in death in the cases I read about. Non of my other chickens seem to be affected. This one was a victim of a fox bite last year but that's the only thing I can think of, she's close to 2 yrs old.

Have you tried soaking her scab to soften it in a warm Epson salt bath. Once soft cut small pieces away to see if the skin is still intact. You'll need need some antiseptic while doing this procedure just incase there's blood present.

If for some reason you decide it's to much to deal with you can also visit a vet for help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom