Huge, bloody mass under wing. Please help! Going out of town tonight!

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
I noticed blood in my coop yesterday and I feel terrible for not looking at them closer until just now.

My bantam cochin hen has larger than a golf ball size lump under her wing and it is scabbed over for the most part. I have no idea what to do! I am at complete loss when it comes to issues like this because I have no experience with it. Can someone please, please help me ASAP. I am heading back to college tonight and my parents have little experience with chickens and will have a hard time trying to help. I am trying to stay calm but I am down to 2 hens so if I lose her, I will only have 1 left and I can't leave her alone.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Did your chicken have a Mareks vaccination? With Mareks tumors are very common, but even without Mareks chickens can develop tumors or cysts. I would suggest that your parents take the chicken to the vet for evaluation. Bleeding can be stopped by holding pressure for a few minutes, or by using Blood Stop Powder or a little flour. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Mareks is contagious, so if it is that, I would not re-home the other chicken, since she would be carrier.

Last edited:
Im 99% sure it is an abscess. It is very scabby and nasty looking and was warm to the touch. Soaking with hot water for the past 15 minutes.

There is absolutely no vets that will see her in a 3 hour radius. Ive tried in the past. :(

An abscess would be a relief in this case. Hot compresses 3-4 times a day, then lancing it and getting as much pus as possible out. Pus in chickens will turn into a solid cheesy mass after time, so you may find that. An antibiotic such as Keflex, Clavamox, Amoxicillin, or Penicillin shots (Procaine Penicillin G) would be good to treat it.

Is it hard or soft?

If it feels soft, can you prick it and drain it?

If you have Betadine, make a paste with sugar and Betadine and put it on the wound. Sugar helps to draw "stuff" out.

Ok… Here are some new pics. Mass is solid, no fluid at all. Stuck a needle syringe in and tried to drain with no luck, squeezing no luck.

All I have for meds are tylan (open and expired a year ago), amoxicillin (expired 5 years), Lincomycin (expired 1 year), duramycin (still good)

No betadine

Last edited:
Does it look or smell infected? To me it looks more like tumor. I would use the 5 year expired amoxicillin, since it is a better antibiotic. I probably wouldn't use it for a person, but until you get something better I would use it.

Ugh dang, I hope not.

I got beta dine. What sugar/betadine ratio should I use? Can you give me an amount of powder (teaspoons) to water I should administer the amoxicillin. Its powder for oral suspension.

Back
Top Bottom