How warm do 7 week old chicks need to be?

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
14 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I want to put out my chciks outside in the coop (seperate from the rest of the flock). Here in Southern Maine it has been in the high 30's to the low 40's at night. During the day it is in the 50's to low 60's.

How warm do they need to be? Currently they are in my basement and under the heat lamp it is about 70F. The cool end of the brooder is 51F.

Please let me know.

ok, your brooder should be 55 degrees if they are seven weeks old... you are supposed to take away 5 degrees every week... if it is 55 or higher in the night good... if it is 55 in the day or warmer, good. just be careful not to bake them!!!!

Quote:
If you start with 95 degrees and deduct 5 degrees per week..7 weeks x 5 degrees =35..So 95-35 =60 degrees. You brooder set up is great. Put the chicks outside and turn on a light for them at night for warmth-they will be fine
thumbsup.gif

I agree with the others- put them outside w/ heat lamp at night to transition them. You could even bring them inside at night if you are not set up for heat out at the coop.

Edited to add: since the below posters mentioned no heat at 7 weeks, I will say that in the winter I provide a heat lamp at night for those aged 6 weeks to 2 months to transition them.

Last edited:
A.T. Hagan :

At seven weeks of age they should not need any additional heat if they are fully feathered, not wet,and out of the wind. My birds are outside in the growout pens by then.

Ditto. Put mine outside with no heat on a warm day when they were 4wks old and fully feathered. Rain, near freezing,etc. and they are just fine. I have some almost 4 and almost 5 week olds outside now, also no heat.
smile.png

mine are 7 weeks and have been in the 'transitional' coop outdoors for several days. They have a heat lamp BUT they don't seem to need it, and it's been down to 47. Tonight we are having a frost warning down to 34 degrees which had me worried. However the transitional coop is covered with blankets. And we have a baby monitor so if they get distressed we can hear them.

Back
Top Bottom