How to make chopped straw

HeatherFeather

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Severn Bridge, ON
Looking for suggestions on how to turn square bales into chopped straw.

So far I've tried using loppers and shears inside a garbage can, without much luck. Both those tools are kinda dull however....the straw just twists sideways between the blades.

I'm not opposed to buying new tools, or sharpening these ones, but don't want to spend any $$ on them if they aren't the tools I need for the job anyhow.

I thought about using a weedwacker.....anyone tried this?

I've never tried it, but maybe a leaf mulcher? Not sure if they could handle straw, though. My other idea is a lawn mower and a rake. Lay out the straw in a path as wide as your mower and not very deep (so as not to bog down the mower too much), run over it with the mower then rake it all up. There will be some loss, obviously. I'd try it on a "not so windy" day!

The "real" way is with a straw mulcher. I've seen places that you can lease them for somewhere around $150-$200 a month, but that's only feasable is you have the money and are mulching a lot of straw.

Last edited:
The lawn mower idea does work.
If you do it alongside a building, or between a pair of 2x6's, you'll save on raking time.
Good luck!

spot

Quote:
idunno.gif

Huh??? Please enlighten me on why the straw needs to be "chopped"? What are you using the straw for??

I saw an idea once for chopping leaves in a metal trash can with a weed eater... maybe that is an option so you wouldn't have to rake it... just dump the can where you want the straw?

Back
Top Bottom