How to give pedialyte to duckling?

L0rraine

Crowing
15 Years
May 20, 2009
Whidbey Island
One of my new Runner babies is definitely weaker than the others. She came four days later (on the 4th) and has had a hard time keeping up. I separated her and put her under a heat lamp, but she'd definitely not thriving. Every day I try to give her a little time with the bigger ducklings and Momma duck, but every day she seems to fall a little further behind. Now it seems she will barely walk -- but if I feed her, she will eat and drink somewhat eagerly.

I start my ducklings on Nutrena chick starter (because that's what we can get here) and I've been under the assumption that it's not medicated (though honestly I'm not entirely sure to look for on the label). It seems I've read about giving pedialyte to weak ducklings, but when I search the BYC site, I only find references to chicks and ducklings several weeks old. Can someone give me any guidance? Do I give it straight or in water? Since she seems to be eating and drinking (when hand fed) I'm assuming I wouldn't need to use an eyedropper. Do I need to measure how much I give?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Worried mom ...

Put a little bit in some water and see if she drinks it. Dissolving a bit of honey, molasses, or sugar in some water is also an option, just to give her energy a little boost.

Whenever I've had a weak duckling, I give them a mixture of spinach, plain yogurt, and crushed Cheerios. It seems to perk them up a bit, especially if they aren't getting a lot to eat.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the yogurt suggestions I'd seen in the past. I have that and Cheerios here in the house (but no spinach). Maybe I'll give it a try without the greens.

I know this can't really be true, but sometimes it seems she just wants to be an 'only child'. She seems to welcome my individual attention more than most any I've had. She gives little kisses and is sooo calm when I'm holding her (which is probably just be because she doesn't feel well enough to be more energetic).

Thanks again for your helpful input!

When I thought I was going to lose my little runt Mallard duckling because he wouldn't eat, I made him a mixture of plain yogurt, honey, and Poly-vi-sol. He ate pretty much nothing but that for the first week and a half of his life, and he loved it! I had to dip my finger in it and feed him by hand though - it was the only way he'd eat it.
roll.png

Full strength pedialyte is fine. Or you can put your duck starter in the blender, make a fine powder and add water to make a soup. You can add a bit of sugar for energy. Then she will be getting more of the proper nutrients (protein etc) that she needs. It will sour in the heat tho so only make up a bit at a time. It will also absorb a lot more water than you initially put in so unless you keep an eye on it, it will become like wet clay.

Another option is to add some poultry vitamins & electrolytes to its water. I usually add this the first couple of days to new hatchlings and also give it to sick or stressed birds.

I think I've just discovered what the actual problem is. One of the times when I had her in with the Mom ducks, something must have happened to one of her legs. (There are actually two ducks trying to raise the babies, which happens to me almost every time, and they always 'share' duties remarkably well. But it also means double the panic when they think something or someone is coming to steal their babies.)

She's walking with a significant limp but can use both legs to some extent, so I'm assuming it's something that will eventually heal (though she may continue to have a limp). But that must be why she's more than happy to have me hold her and feed her, but she doesn't like to get up and eat on her own. Because it's soooo hot here now, I took her to the ducklings' wading pool and let her swim for a bit. Her legs are strong enough to get her out of the pool, but she seems to absolutely hate walking on hard ground.

I'm sure all the wonderful supplements you've all suggested can still be a help in her healing process, but I'm less worried about her well-being than I was yesterday and this morning.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom