How to encourage quail to lay again after trauma

windsweptstina

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Hi all

I had a lovely aviary with 15 coturnix, of which the 13 females were laying an egg a day. They seemed to love their spacious set up, varied diet and stress free existence. All were hand tame and never nervous.

Then... We had a rat/mink take a number over a short period (one a night for a few days, then four at once). I removed the quails to another cage as a temporary measure and have now set up a spacious and safe coop indoors, where they will remain for winter. We'll predator proof the aviary and continue trapping.

From the first bird going missing they've stopped laying all together. The cocks were both taken, so it's just females left.

Things I've thought of:
1. Stopped laying due to trauma - try to reduce any stress (including me being around them)?
2. No cocks to encourage egg laying - introduce one?
3. New housing not as spacious or bright - add a headlamp and objects of interest to help them settle in?
4. Continue with varied diet - crumbs, grain, greens, millet, meal worm, boiled egg - any other ideas?

I'd ideally like to incubate more, but would prefer to wait until later in the winter so they have as little time as possible indoors. Is there anything I can do to make my existing birds more relaxed and ready to lay again?

Thanks, Cristina

hens will lay without a male, so its just going to take some time for them to get over their trama. The one thing you could do is spend more time with them. This would reassure them that everything is going to be OK. I had a cat take one of my hens, and it took a week or so for the remaining hens to settle down.
I hope this helps,
James

Back
Top Bottom