How often should I forcefeed (handfeed) a one-month old sick chick (possible cocci)?

eastvanchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Vancouver
We purchased two one month old chicks. The cuckoo maran was unusually calm (and fluffy) when we got her but noisy and ate well for the first day. We put her behaviour off to personality but she was noisy all night (in the brooder in the livingroom) and by day 2 quiet and fluffed up. By afternoon she was not eating. Suspecting cocci (though no blood in poo which seems limited but normal) we got amprol in the water and I have fed her last night and this morning. No real improvement thus far though she made it through the night.

The question is how often should i 'force feed' her. I have experience in such feeding so no worries that I am actually forcing food down her throat! What I don't know is the frequency and amounts (I can feel the crop afterwards).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We purchased two one month old chicks.  The cuckoo maran was unusually calm (and fluffy) when we got her but noisy and ate well for the first day.  We put her behaviour off to personality but she was noisy all night (in the brooder in the livingroom) and by day 2 quiet and fluffed up.  By afternoon she was not eating.  Suspecting cocci (though no blood in poo which seems limited but normal) we got  amprol in the water and I have fed her last night and this morning.  No real improvement thus far though she made it through the night.

The question is how often should i 'force feed' her.  I have experience in such feeding so no worries that I am actually forcing food down her throat!  What I don't know is the frequency and amounts (I can feel the crop afterwards).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is she drinking the medicated water? That would be my main concern right now. If she isn't drinking she's not getting the medicine. I think cocci feed off of the B vitamin, so you don't want to be feeding them that! That's what the medicine does is block the B vitamin so the cocci don't thrive and end up starving out to lower numbers. Otherwise, feed her when her crop empties or maybe just a couple of feedings a day. Might not want to stress the digestive system too much when she is ill. Not sure how long it takes for the crop to empty, you just might check it before attempting to feed. It may empty slowly if the chick is ill.

Thanks. I have been spoon feeding her the amprol enhanced water but how much she was taking is debatable. I just used a syringe to put some in her beak (again taking appropriate care), this time with a bit of corn syrup for energy. I'll try yogurt with her evening feeding if others concur about the 2 times a day idea.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Thanks.  I have been spoon feeding her the amprol enhanced water but how much she was taking is debatable.  I just used a syringe to put some in her beak (again taking appropriate care), this time with a bit of corn syrup for energy.  I'll try yogurt with her evening feeding if others concur about the 2 times a day idea.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Make sure it's plain yogurt, that's what I've always read to feed them. You could probably feed a little more often than twice a day. If the crop is empty, give the chick a little food it its not eating. I'm not really sure how often the crop will empty in a day, that's why I said maybe twice. It may need more than that though, maybe three or four times. That should be sufficient to give it some energy and a fighting chance. A little soft baby food, like peas or rice cereal would be a good food also. You should be able to feed those through a syringe.

Thanks again. It must have been cocci as this morning she looked at deaths door but through the day has picked up. Gave her more medicated water by syringe along with yogurt (organic with maple syrup for energy) and by late this afternoon she looked remarkably more spry. She is now eating and drinking on her own and the livingroom is alive with the sounds of chirps!

Thanks again.  It must have been cocci as this morning she looked at deaths door but through the day has picked up.  Gave her more medicated water by syringe along with yogurt (organic with maple syrup for energy) and by late this afternoon she looked remarkably more spry.  She is now eating and drinking on her own and the livingroom is alive with the sounds of chirps!

That's great news! Yes, that cocci will bring them down real quick and can kill quite quickly. By the time they are down they usually will not eat or drink, so you did the right thing!

Back
Top Bottom