How long until your overwhelmed or tired of poultry

How long do most people have poultry until they get overwhelmed or tired of them?

• Total voters
:lau No dear, hobbies are for sane people.....like embroidery is my hobby since I guess untangling snarled thread and stabbing pictures into existence is fun for me....

I'd imagine most people who got chickens on a whim would usually quit within two years, some people, it's the start of a new facet of life! I was born into chickens....

If I didn’t absolutely adore chickens, I’d probably burn out pretty quickly. I think it depends on how many you have, too. In the future, if I’m too overwhelmed with having 20+, I’d try really hard to keep just 10-15 at most. In fact, I have a plan for the future: Wait until I have five left in my current flock, then get ONLY 2-3 chicks the next spring. Then the next year add 2-3 more, and so on until I reach my limit, then start all over again when I’m back down to five (I just LOVE raising the babies :love ).

I’ve had mine for probably 6 years. Got a second batch of chicks earlier this year that are now starting to lay. Can be a lot of work for sure especially on a hot humid day. That just plain stinks. Sometimes literally, haha
Glad to be doing that than pushing up daisies though. Can’t wait to be retired and then it won’t be as much work I hope! Haha

Can you explain this? What do you mean by ‘getting into them’ after already having to care for them for 8 years?
Well, I’ve had my first flock for, now that I think about it, 10-12 years. I’ve had some come and go, and i’ve cared for them the whole time. But i’m the time period they were just little chicks that were cute until they grew up, and then after that it was just another chore I had to do. Collect eggs, feed and water them, and clean the coop every once in a while. Then I learned that chickens could be nice. So I started spending more time with them. Then I learned that chicks could be hatched in 21 days, so I bought a rooster. Then I started to learn more and more. Chicken math got ahold of me, and it didn’t help that all BYC was about was chickens. So once I learned about a breed, I wanted it. Now i’m trying to breed them to perfection, I’ve built 2 new coops for my chickens, I spend time with them everyday, and a lot more.

It depends on how stable my housing situation. And there can be a myriad of factors for lots of people. The longest I’ve ever lived anywhere as an adult was 4 years in Southern California, and chickens were fun and seemed very easy in such a mild climate. Throw a few more kids in the mix, a coop that is farther away and an actual cold winter, and I’m finding it to be much more work in Northern Nee Mexico…I’m in my second year with our new set up, on the path to homeschooling because of Covid and I am findingit to be less fun, much more expensive. I also hoped my kids would help me out more. I need some tricks up my sleeve!
Do people really drink rum with their chickens? Tequila seems to be more appropriate, idk.
My DS is a huge help. He absolutely loves animals & will help with any chore for the dogs or chickens. My DD hates poop, & won’t do any of it without whining except feed/water. 😂
If I didn’t absolutely adore chickens, I’d probably burn out pretty quickly. I think it depends on how many you have, too. In the future, if I’m too overwhelmed with having 20+, I’d try really hard to keep just 10-15 at most. In fact, I have a plan for the future: Wait until I have five left in my current flock, then get ONLY 2-3 chicks the next spring. Then the next year add 2-3 more, and so on until I reach my limit, then start all over again when I’m back down to five (I just LOVE raising the babies :love ).
I love the babies too! I wish I could brood groups all year long! ❤️

In our 4 th year of chickens. Kid shows them through 4-H. Kid is a young teen.

the hardest part is getting teen to be consistent in care of chickens. Did you know that if you have kid write out “water” 500x (to impress upon them the importance of constant access to fresh water) that a teen can fit this in one side of one sheet of paper? Now you know. :rolleyes:

I’ve had ducks for 3 and 1/2 years now. I love them to bits, and I have zero intentions of getting rid of them. However, I’m at a high enough level of “burn out” with my job that I probably wouldn’t replace the flock if something catastrophic happened, at least not immediately. That being said, the duckies take me out of my own head and force me outside even when I just want to curl up in a ball and give up (which is a common feeling). On, we go!

Back
Top Bottom