How long should I isolate my sick hens from the flock?

Dontlickthechicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Candia, NH
I have 4 girls with sneezing, rattles etc.... it started with 1 (a few days after standing out in freezing rain) and quickly spread! I isolated 4 hens two days ago and started them on duromycin 10 yesterday ( its all I could get a hold of here) the remaining 7 chickens havent showed any signs, but I am treating them with vetrx. how long should I keep them isolated from the coop? I am also wondering about eating eggs, I have read many different opinions on this.... I dont sell them and nobody has a compromised immune system. I'd like to know what you all think??? Thanks

I have 4 girls with sneezing, rattles etc.... it started with 1 (a few days after standing out in freezing rain) and quickly spread! I isolated 4 hens two days ago and started them on duromycin 10 yesterday ( its all I could get a hold of here) the remaining 7 chickens havent showed any signs, but I am treating them with vetrx. how long should I keep them isolated from the coop? I am also wondering about eating eggs, I have read many different opinions on this.... I dont sell them and nobody has a compromised immune system. I'd like to know what you all think??? Thanks
Unfortunately you will have to keep them seperated forever..biosecurity, to protect your other birds from catching whatever it is from the infected birds.
Even treating with antibiotics, the infected birds will remain carriers. Duramycin withdrawal period is 21 days after last use:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=193203
Post #33

forever!? I dont even know what it is they have, its not an option for me anyway.... they are in temporary quarters in the garage. I guess I will go the week, then put them back together and try my best to keep everybody as warm, dry, stress free and healthy as I can. is it common practice to never add them back to the flock with any respiratory ailment or just certain strains?

Back
Top Bottom