How long do you continue to give chicks water with electrolytes?

GrandmaCluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
When I first got my baby chicks, I gave them water with electrolytes and vitamins added. I have not been able to find out how long you continue to give them this. When I raised the meat chickens, they were kept on it continuously. But I'm not sure if that should be the case for my layers who are now 4 weeks old.

I heard you shouldn't give electrolytes to chickens you are going to consume. Could someone agree or disagree with this?
Thanks

On the back of my electrolyte packet it says "great for adult birds too" it also says "always have fresh water available" so I've had both in there the whole time and mine are about 4 weeks as well. I was planning on just using the electrolyte packs till they were gone and then going to only regular water.

Just got horizontal nipples and have Again put both in their brooder. This is the second half of my second electrolyte and probiotic packs. I think I'll save the third and final for my next batch of chicks. They seem to go back and forth so I'm of the "they know what they need" camp.

Heck, I give mine probiotics and vitamin water every day and the older set is a year old. i will prob start back with the eletrolytes again cause its starting to be hot outside again....
It was so warm TODAY my almost 3 monthers girls had their mouths open some even thought they were in the shade today....
we made them some more extensions temp ones added on their kennel run today.. I will be so glad when they get almost full size so I can let them out with the 1 year old set to run
the whole big 100 by 100 fenced area...then rest of property in the hour before bed time .
Just how I do it for my spoled rotten bunch....

Back
Top Bottom