How do you tan the hide to preserve feathers in hide? (soft hide)

Okay, so, I'm thinking it's pretty much done. It's not soft like leather, it's more crispy like when you fry it but it's still quite flexible and all the feathers stayed on. Here are some photos.

I am tanning 2 hen pheasants and 1 rooster for tying. Does anyone know how to make sure any mites are dead?

Im havjng issue with the Borax absorbing moisture out the air. Its very humid here at the moment.
Maybe use a fan? Put borax or salt on, rub into wet areas, blow a fan on it for 24 fours? Then brush off excess borax or salt, reapply desiccant, and use fan for next 24 hours? Repeat.
Just a guess but I'm anxious to try this out myself soon so please let us know how it turns out.

For what it's worth, I have dried whole feathered quail wings sucessfully. Took them off of the body at the "arm pit" burried the cut ends in salt and put the container with the salt and the wings in a gallon zip loc bag. when they started to stiffen up I shaped them how I wanted and let them continue drying out. These were the whole wings, meat and all. They were done after about 6 months.
I know this is kind of off topic.

Back
Top Bottom