How do you raise a pedigree chicken for showing?

Katu

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
Wales
Good afternoon BYC! I needed to ask how on earth do you take care of a pedigree chicken? eversince we are getting a show hen next week from a breeder, so we can enter a show.

I haven't heard pedigree used very often referring to chickens except when breeding lines to pedigree chicks identifying the parentage, offspring, brothers, sisters etc,.
Perhaps you are referring to heritage chickens.
At any rate, there is no difference raising a heritage chicken as opposed to any other.
For showing, you'll want them to grow apace and have excellent plumage. For that, they need optimal nutrition, fresh clean water, probiotics, clean conditions and lots of good ventilation throughout life. Clean, dry conditions are especially important for feather footed breeds.
What breed are you talking about?

I don’t know much, but I do know many people choose to cage showbirds inside instead of let them roam out to keep them safe and in good condition... you have to quarantine them for a month before and after shows so you don’t bring diseases there or home from the show. I do believe people bathe them and clean them before showing so they look nice, but I’m not sure what that involves... (you might wanna ask @featherhead007 !)

I’m not really sure about anything else, but hopefully that helps you a bit!

I haven't heard pedigree used very often referring to chickens except when breeding lines to pedigree chicks identifying the parentage, offspring, brothers, sisters etc,.
Perhaps you are referring to heritage chickens.
At any rate, there is no difference raising a heritage chicken as opposed to any other.
For showing, you'll want them to grow apace and have excellent plumage. For that, they need optimal nutrition, fresh clean water, probiotics, clean conditions and lots of good ventilation throughout life. Clean, dry conditions are especially important for feather footed breeds.
What breed are you talking about?
we where thinking about getting a silkie.

The chances of chick being a show bird is slim to none. I breed 50 of each breed to try and come up with a couple I might be able to show.

I sell off my excess birds. Just because they come from show stock does not make them show birds.

Matter of fact, I can almost guarantee you buying an adult or even Teenage bird from a show bird breeder will not get you a show bird.

We sell off the ones we don't think will win. Now if you want advice on how to turn a cull into a winner contact @holm25....He seems to pick through my culls and find winners all the time....I have slipped a little something into his chocolate milk to stop this from happening again.

Then you'll want to keep it away from other chickens that may be tempted to pick the silkie feathers, especially the head. Keep the feet from getting dirty/muddy.
It would be best to keep them indoors by the time they get their adult plumage. Sunlight and other factors can affect the appearance of feathers. White birds especially can get stains from grass and other things and eating grass or anything with carotenoids can make the feathers more yellow. The sun will also cause brassiness of white feathers.
Food can also affect white feathers. If you have white birds, don't give scratch that contains yellow corn. Find a good non-gmo grower feed that is based on wheat, oats or other grains rather than yellow corn.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html
You'll want a copy of this book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...&tag=poultrykeep09-21&linkId=C5GQ2AJCE6QHGHM7

You should get more than one. Just as not all children are destined to be supermodels, not every chicken - even from show quality breeders - could be expected to be a blue ribbon winner.
Some will always be better than others. As they grow, you'll be able to determine which is your best show candidate based on the British Poultry Standards.
Plus, since you'll be keeping them separate from other birds, they'll need friends as they grow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom