How do I know if my goat is about to kid?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Colorado Plains
We have nigerian dwarf goats. Kinda. 1 newly-acquired buck (3/4 nd, 1/4 la mancha - 1 year old). 1 nd wether - 1 yr old, and his twin, a doeling. Plus their older half-sister, who is 4 years old. She had her first litter last year, 4 kids! All born healthy and strong. We bought this doe as soon as her kids were weaned.

She was with an angora buck Oct 19-21 but because I had (ok, have) such a hard time knowing when the girls are in heat, I was only hoping. She was with him again Oct 28-Nov 8. I couldn't afford to take her there again, so I borrowed a neighbor's buck Dec 26-29 and Jan 7-9.

IF the goat got pregnant with the angora, she should kid this Friday, right? Well, I hadn't given it much thought. I would look at her from time to time, but not see any indications of her being pregnant. She was trim and active. Then this evening, I was giving her a good back scratch and noticed... holey catatoney ... she's huge! Her sides practically doubled overnight!

I wasn't expecting it. So I don't have the kidding kennel ready. Or supplies. Or even a book on how to help a goat kid, if needed. So tomorrow morning I'm gonna muck out the dog kennel that we have in the goat pen (used it for chickens and separating goats). Put fresh hay on the ground and in the hay rack (milk crate). Put in the x-large dog kennel that this doe likes to nap in. Fresh water and a feed bucket.

Then what else do I do? Towels? Molasses/sweet feed? Vitamin water? Gloves?

And how do I know for sure that she really is preggers? Is there a way to tell that she's started kidding? Her udder hasn't changed since it dried up from the last time. As soon as she starts giving signs (please let her show me signs), I'm gonne put her in the kennel and close the gate. That'll confine her so I won't have to crawl into the dog house that she likes to sleep in. I wouldn't be able to help with kidding if she goes in there.

Okay .... so HELP!

Wrote more about it here: http://vikkisverandah.blogspot.com/2011/03/eggs-chicks-and-goat-babies.html

Rarely the udder will NOT fill until AFTER the birth. Feel her ligaments to see if they are loose. Those will be located right at the tail head off to each side, and run to her pin bones. When those go soft, she is within days maybe hours of kidding. I have never had to help any of mine. Usually I let them out of the kidding stall because they are getting tired of being cooped up, and they have the babies right in the middle of the yard in front of God and everybody 5 minutes after being released to browse
lau.gif
I say that to say this...I wouldn't be overly concerned. Considering her age, she's liable to be browsing, have the kids, and go right back to eatting like it's nothing.
hu.gif
I let mine stay out now unless I will not be home, and then they go into a kdding stall that has yet to see a newborn kid
hmm.png

Call her C.C.!

Great info. I'll feel her up tomorrow and hope to feel something "loose". I'll also feel the doeling who, if she IS pregnant, is still 6-7 weeks away. Comparison thing so I'll know what I'm feeling for.

From what I understand her litter last year was her first, and she had no troubles. Unassisted. Four healthy kids. Right on time.

There's not much browse in the goat pen. I throw in some pine branches from time to time ... takes about 5 minutes for them to strip them! They eat everything in sight so I throw in hay twice a day. I gave her and the doeling some sweet feed this evening but for the first time, this one (C.C.) didn't eat much. She usually scarfs! I'll take her and the doeling aside again tomorrow and try again.

I also offer free choice minerals and baking soda but we're expecting rain and snow tomorrow night so I might bring those in until it clears up again.

Just read on another thread about offering "calf manna" to pregnant does. My goats usually just get alfalfa, with treats of whole grain bread and leftovers (C.C. loves celery). I give sweet feed periodically but not on a time table. A couple of weeks ago, I gave wormer "treats" to all of them (we'd just gotten the buck). And I've been putting vitamin powder in their water about 3-4 times a week for the past month.

Is there a kit I need to put together? For the birth?

Thank you SO much for your help!

Quote:
Paper towels or old towels
Nutri-Drench
Gloves
K-Y Jelly or other lubricant
Iodine
Sterile thread or dental floss (for tying umbilical cord)
Bucket or pot to milk the doe into

Quote:
Paper towels or old towels
Nutri-Drench
Gloves
K-Y Jelly or other lubricant
Iodine
Sterile thread or dental floss (for tying umbilical cord)
Bucket or pot to milk the doe into

====
Just curious ... why do I want to milk the doe? I don't plan to bottle feed.

Made notes for the rest of the stuff. Will pick up tomorrow.

You want to milk out some extra colostrum once the kids have some, so you can save it/freeze it for later births if the kids get rejected and you have to bottlefeed them. Right?

I'm not sure, going by all sorts of information I've read.
lau.gif

This is my first kidding too! I hope everything goes good on your end, and mine too.
smile.png

The waiting is what's killing me.

Quote:
========
This doe doesn't like to be milked but I have my equipment from last year's milking doe. I might give it a try.

Did recently have someone tell me he'd buy all the colostrum milk I have. For his calves. Decided I want my goat kids to have it all! But ... wonder what he would have paid. Sounded desparate.

Thanks.

ETA: Anybody else? HELP?!?! I'm still so nervous.

Last edited:
I have all of my stuff purchased and put in a big ole tub. Only thing still to get is a sharp pair of scissors ... have lots of dull ones so if she kids before I get back to the store, we have at least something.

BUT

she's been coughing for the last 3 days. None of the other goats are coughing. I don't know what to do. Is this pregnancy related? I wormed her (all 4 goats) about 2 weeks ago ... if it's lungworm ... how can I tell and can I worm her again now so close to kidding?

HELP!

Back
Top Bottom