How can I keep chickens out of my garden?

mozzar_ELLA

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Elk Grove,CA
I have a 4ft fenced in garden. So far my pullets have snuck through the pickets and jumped over it. I’m not so concerned with the sneaking through since they’re not fully grown yet and my oldest pullet is starting to have trouble fitting but I can’t have them jumping in. They have already destroyed all of the butternut squash and pumpkin seedlings and half of my pepper plants that I had in a raised bed. They have a run but I’d rather let them free range. Is there anything I can do to keep them out short of barbed wire😂 or caging them full time?

Barbed wire won't help.

Completely covering the garden (aviary netting or wire-mesh fencing) could work.

You could keep them shut in the run most of the time, and only let them out when you are outside. That way you could chase them out any time they get in.

When the plants get larger, they won't be hurt as much (helps later this year, but new plants next spring would have the same trouble these do.)

Barbed wire won't help.

Completely covering the garden (aviary netting or wire-mesh fencing) could work.

You could keep them shut in the run most of the time, and only let them out when you are outside. That way you could chase them out any time they get in.

When the plants get larger, they won't be hurt as much (helps later this year, but new plants next spring would have the same trouble these do.)
Barbed wire won't help.

Ya I was joking about the barbed wire😕

We have mostly raised beds at 2' or higher and it works. Around the coop in the "chicken courtyard" I built some raised beds supplement the chicken feed with veggie treats near their home.
I use a chicken tractor so they don’t have a specific home area. My yard also isn’t that big so making these spoiled birds their own courtyard isn’t exactly feasible.

Ya I was joking about the barbed wire😕

Sorry. I'm bad at recognizing jokes, because sometimes people really do not know things that seem obvious to others :)

Would plastic birds spikes keep them from jumping up on the fence? They can’t clear the fence. They hop up then hop down.

That's an interesting idea. Maybe? You have a good point about them stopping at the top of the fence--chickens usually do that, so blocking them there might work.

Sorry. I'm bad at recognizing jokes, because sometimes people really do not know things that seem obvious to others :)

That's an interesting idea. Maybe? You have a good point about them stopping at the top of the fence--chickens usually do that, so blocking them there might work.
Lolz ya it’s hard over the internet that’s why I added the smiley face😅
But they do seem to have trouble landing on top as it is. It’s a generic wood picket fence from Lowe’s so I think it’s hard for them to gauge where the land inbetween the picket tops.

If they're pullets now, sooner or later you'll see them fluttering over the top of your fence, especially now that they've discovered tasty tender treats. We have a combination of raised beds and a garden plot. We finally gave up and built rough tents of scrap lumber and chicken wire to go over the garden plants and the raised beds. Ours will still try to poke their heads through to nibble the leaves but at least there are veggies for us this year! An added bonus -- the squirrels were worse than the chickens and our chicken wire tents are a barrier for them too. Win win!

Taller, floppier fence may do it - won't look pretty, but you could try extending your existing fence with like 2' of chicken wire, snow fencing, anything that's too flimsy for them to land on. Many times when chickens fly a fence, they'll land on top before launching over, so this will discourage them landing on top.

Netting over the top will stop them for sure, but may be difficult to do if you have taller plants.

Back
Top Bottom