Highest protein feed I can find is 22%

View attachment 3364759
Never buy these sorts of feeds either on eBay, they're effectively scams for those prices. Amazon's prices are usually twice the price you'd pay in comparison to sites like Burnhills, Mole Online, Feathers and Fur.
I really don’t like heygates :oops: They make it all most impossible to find their ingredients and they normally medicate. But I will have a look anyway!

Will add, I find that fish meal is easy to buy and inexpensive here in UK, I have used it to help increase protein/aminos in starter crumbs before. Want to say it was £3/kg.

Yes, if you can get fish meal reliably and not too expensively, jump all over that. If someone will get me a label, I'll calculate inclusion rates based on average amino acid ratios for the ingredient.
OP, If there's no label, assume 1# (or kg) to 10# (or kg) of feed when using the smallholder stuff - the important thing is the 1:10 ratio. That should put your total protein around 24%, your Meth around 0.45 and lys about 1.4. Those are decent numbers. Give it a go with a batch of birds, see if your end results aren't worth the extra expense...

Last edited:
Yes, if you can get fish meal reliably and not too expensively, jump all over that. If someone will get me a label, I'll calculate inclusion rates based on average amino acid ratios for the ingredient.
OP, If there's no label, assume 1# (or kg) to 10# (or kg) of feed when using the smallholder stuff - the important thing is the 1:10 ratio. That should put your total protein around 24%, your Meth around 0.45 and lys about 1.4. Those are decent numbers. Give it a go with a batch of birds, see if your end results aren't worth the extra expense...
Thank you!

an idea might be to add some in for the growing quail and when I need to use the grower feed rather then the starter

Always heard never to exceed 10% fish meal in your feed due to it possibly causing a range of problems, honestly I've never checked this but I've never needed more than 5-10% anyhow. Usually worked out like 1kg fishmeal in half a bag of feed (10kg or 12.5kg depending on stock).

Thank you!

an idea might be to add some in for the growing quail and when I need to use the grower feed rather then the starter
Tbh "grower" feed is a load of rubbish imo, feed them starter feed until 8 weeks and then give them straight adult feed. Quail don't grow much after 8 weeks and almost don't grow at all after 10 weeks (generally start laying around 10-12 weeks). Grower feeds I feel are a sneaky product they imply you need when you don't.

I like starter feeds at 24-28% protein and adult feed 14-18% protein with 3.5%+ calcium. I butcher at 6-8 weeks so the only males that survive share layer feed with their female companions.

I really don’t like heygates :oops: They make it all most impossible to find their ingredients and they normally medicate. But I will have a look anyway!
I've never bought heygates feed so I couldn't share my experience with them, they're very overpriced. Medicated feed isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in starter feeds? Had great success using medicated feed for my last two batches of the year, felt I had a better overall health in my birds but have no scientific proof of that. The best feed I have used was an own brand turkey starter with medication at 28% protein, saw amazing growth with it.

Back
Top Bottom